Monday, July 09, 2012

Winning Words 7/9/12
“Love me when I least deserve it, because that’s when I really need it.”  (Swedish Proverb)  A verse from the Sermon on the Mount reads, “If you love those who love you, what reward is that?”  The Kingdom of God isn’t supposed to be some kind of exclusive club where the “unlovely” are excluded.  A woman once said, “There’s one thing I don’t like about Jesus.”  Can you imagine what that might be?    ;-)  Jack

IMAGINE THIS:  A woman who belonged to the WCTU, was reminded during a Bible study that Jesus served wine at the Last Supper.  "That's one thing I don't like about Jesus," she said.

FROM NZG IN MICHIGAN: Maybe it was the unconditional love that Jesus had for everyone.////FROM JACK:  That's a good guess, but see the blog for the answer.

FROM RI IN BOSTON:  I can "imagine", but I would rather "know".  You're not just going to leave us hanging here are you?////FROM JACK:  Sometimes imagination is more fun than reality.  Have fun today,but, for reality, read the blog.////MORE RI:  Thanks for the link...actually I had it and often check in to the blog, but just didn't get to it this morning.  I am amused by that woman's point of view.  My own imagined reason was wrong: why should we bother being "good" persons because Jesus loves "bad" persons as well.  BTW, I really liked your sample of Swedish wisdom.  Reminds me of the Polish story about laying sod: "Green side up."

FROM HONEST JOHN:  If it's Swedish, it has to be great Wisdom.////FROM JACK:  Here's an example of Swedish wisdom:  What's written on the bottom of bottles in Sweden?  "Öppnas på andra sidan". (Open in the other end).

FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  A provocative question from the woman.  I think the thing that is hard sometimes to accept about Jesus is that He actually changes the world, changes the status quo, that change can feel like it's  unbearable unless we have God's help to accept it.  Often even people in church don't like this about Jesus.  His changing people/situations  I mean.  Often I find myself not liking the changes either but so far God has been working on me successfully  through all the changes I've had to go through and I'm being sanctified.  Appreciate your morning's WW.////FROM JACK:  People are funny.  They always like the changes...that go their way.


FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE:  Can't.////FROM JACK:  Someone said that success comes in cans; failure comes in can'ts.    The first successful cast iron plow invented in the United States in 1797 was rejected by New Jersey farmers under the theory that cast iron poisoned the land and stimulated growth of weeds. 60 years later, John Deere proved that theory wrong with his invention of the steel plow. 


FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Perhaps because he loved the unlovable?  His mercy extends to everyone.  But I do believe to get to Heaven you must accept Him.  Those are His words, not mine.  I do pray for my enemies...I pray God will change their hearts and make my accepting.////FROM JACK:  I like the words of C.S. Lewis:  “Everyone thinks forgiveness is a lovely idea until he has something to forgive.”

FROM SAINT JAMES:  Someone posed this question to me:  If God knows what we are going to do before we do it, why does He bother?   I think it's because He wants to be glorified by watching us do the best we can.  What's your take?////FROM JACK:  God chooses to limit himself by giving the gift of Free Will to each of us, thus allowing good choices, as well as mistakes.  Like a kindly parent, he is there to pick us up when we've fallen.  Recently, I was available to help a family in distress.  They were so involved in what was going on in their life, that they wanted no help.  Sometimes that's the way it is with us and God.

FROM WATERFOR JAN:  Is the one thing a woman said she didn't like about Jesus is the he requires us to be want we should be and not just what we want to be?////FROM JACK:  That's using your imagination, but it's not the answer I was looking for.  Click this link www.jackswinningwords.blogspot.com to see my blog

FROM ILLINOIS LIZ:  The Swedish are wise people!
I never liked Jesus' beard. Or sandals - ha! Also thought he should be depicted as darker; he was from the Middle East, after all.////FROM JACK:  I once asked some confirmation students to draw a picture of God.  I was impressed when one boy handed in a drawing of the face of Jesus divided into quadrants, each with a different color.


FROM JE IN MICHIGAN:  He loves everyone!  This is so appropriate for today.  Have a beautiful day. ////FROM JACK:  In our human-ness we see some people as soooo unlovable.  How could God ever accept them?   

FROM PH IN MINNESOTA:    that he is a bit too accepting of others  (i.e. sinners)...FROM JACK:  That's good, but too theological.  Click this link www.jackswinningwords.blogspot.com to see my blog

FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER:  I have an idea, but you tell me.////FROM JACK:  The Ink Spots sang  this song, "You Tell Me Your Dream, I'll Tell You Mine."  My idea is on the blog.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  That He persists in loving unconditionally? never gives up on us?////FROM JACK:  NOPE.  Here's what's on the blog.  IMAGINE THIS:  A woman who belonged to the WCTU, was reminded during a Bible study that Jesus served wine at the Last Supper.  "That's one thing I don't like about Jesus," she said.  She must have been a Methodist.







No comments: