Friday, July 20, 2012

Winning Words 7/20/12
“I want it said of me that I always plucked a thistle and planted a flower where I thought a flower would grow.”  (A. Lincoln)  There are so many quotes attributed to Lincoln that I wonder if he really said this one?  I read a  “Lincoln” quote recently.  “The problem with internet quotes is that you can’t always depend on them.”  Did Abe actually say that?  His life shows that he did try to replace evil with good.    ;-)  Jack

FROM BIG AL:  Longest Winning Words ever?////FROM JACK:  I don't know about that, but I think that this might qualify.  "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious," which means, "having something to say when you have nothing to say."

FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  This quote interested me especially. Googled Abraham Lincoln and found out neither he nor Mary were gardeners though they loved flowers. However, Lincoln came from a hard-scrabble farming family and moved around a lot to different farms--there must have been considerable adversity and Lincoln also said "The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable living from a small piece of land." Even though the small family farm seems to be on the decline, there are still plenty of people all over the world who dream A. Lincoln's dream and hope it becomes a reality for them. Also, heard that--after the Civil War--there was a plan proposed to give each freed slave 40 acres and a mule. Would that that plan have succeeded, our country probably would have not had so much pain to go through. My opinion.////FROM JACK:  Lots of things could have been done differently, in retrospect.  It only means that we should probably be more diligent in advocating for what is "right."  We need to plant our own flowers.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  He had some wonderful quotes, although, I don't think he dealt too much with the internet.  LOL  Gary's mom had books and books on him, which we have now.  She also went to Utah to the Mormon Tabernacle to do research on the Lincoln family.  She also attended many lectures on Lincoln.  He was a great God-loving fellow.////FROM JACK:  I have a book in my library which contains the devotions Lincoln used.  Oops!  Now, I can't find it. 

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  This doesn't really sound like Lincoln, does  it. Maybe because he wasn't much of a gardener, as far as flowers went.////FROM JACK:  I'd hate to have people judge me just by quotes that I left behind.

FROM DAZ IN COLORADO:  I never heard it and it doesn't sound right to me.////FROM JACK:  You know more about those times and those people than I do, so I think you're right.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  That is so true.  It is amazing how trusting he was.  I am rereading Killing Lincoln, and it is unbelievable, in this time, that he went alone in Washington and in Richmond without protection until that fatal day at Ford's Theatre.////FROM JACK:  He certainly would pick a thistle if he saw it, but I think that he was more into planting flowers.

FROM PEPPERMINT MARY:   i am a seed planter.  i don't really have the control to know what will grow from them and/or if they will be nurtured, but i am a hopeful one!////FROM JACK:  You're just like that Appleseed guy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This quote interested me especially. Googled Abraham Lincoln and found out neither he nor Mary were gardeners though they loved flowers. However, Lincoln came from a hard-scrapple farming family and moved around a lot to different farms--there must have been considerable adversity and Lincoln also said "The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable living from a small piece of land." Even though the small family farm seems to be on the decline, there are still plenty of people all over the world who dream A. Lincoln's dream and hope it becomes a reality for them. Also, heard that--after the Civil War--there was a plan proposed to give each freed slave 40 acres and a mule. Would that that plan have succeeded, our country probably would have not had so much pain to go through. My opinion.
S.H. in MI