Friday, July 13, 2012

Winning Words 7/12/12
“Don’t wait.  The time will never be just right.”  (Napoleon Hill)  Hill was one of the original writers of the value of positive thinking.  “Believe it, and you can achieve it.”  N.V. Peale took that message into the church pulpit.  I have a Bible with the positive thoughts highlighted in blue.  One such verse reads, “With God all things are possible.”  Believing is a key in the teachings of Jesus   Some call it, faith.    ;-)  Jack


FROM HY-YO SILVER:  When I was young, I would save things (candy, money, new clothes) and not use them because I was "savin' them for the good times"...  What I didn't realize is that these are the good times.
We need to enjoy the Now and appreciate Today.  Of course, the food rotted and the clothes didn't fit once I rediscovered them.  It's important to conserve and not over-indulge, but don't wait to do something if you can to do it today. Don't leave it over until the next day.  I should share this with my girlfriend. ////FROM JACK:  Your response brought to mind a saying I heard long ago from my Aunt Nell.  "I'm saving this for good."  There's another saying that comes to mind..."There comes a time..."

FROM PH IN MINNESOTA:  Jack, do  you recall the old line: i find Paul (St. Paul) appealing and Peale appalling.   actually i liked some of Peale's "stuff"////FROM JACK:  Adlai Stevenson had a way with words, and this is one of his quotes.  I would have expected it from a theologian and not a politician, but I guess athat sometimes a politician can be a theologian, and vice versa.  We can wear different hats. Schuller borrowed from Peale, and Peale borrowed from sources, and his sources borrowed from other sources, etc.

FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER:  Do it now. Get it off your chest and it's off your mind.////FROM JACK:  Since you're in the ad biz, you probably know this.  According to Nike, their famous and easily
recognized slogan was coined at a 1988 meeting of their ad agency Wieden and Kennedy and a group of Nike employees. Dan Weiden, speaking admiringly of Nike’s can-do attitude, reportedly said, “You Nike guys, you just do it.” The rest, as they say, is (advertising) history.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Wow! I'd love to see that "positive thinking" Bible. I 'd never heard of such a one! The Power of Positive Thinking" really influenced my life as a young woman. I'd always sung duets with my twin, and when she moved away,  I had to go "solo". That book helped my to sing alone in church, for organization programs and to do many roles in musicals for Muni Opera in Moline and Springfield!  Gave me the confidence I needed!  Interesting to know who inspired N.V.Peale to write his book, and carry the message  into the pulpit!////FROM JACK:  The "blue" Bible was created by Robert Schuller using the NKJV.  I got it when I once attended a workshop at the Crystal Cathedral.

FROM MOLINER JT:  "Believe" is now my by-word. Where would I be today if I didn't Believe? ////FROM JACK:  There's a song we used to sing in Sunday School.  Perhaps you did, too.  "Only believe.  Only believe.  All things are possible.  Only believe."

No comments: