Thursday, July 26, 2012

Winning Words 7/26/12
“Sometimes the biggest questions are answered by the little-est things.”  (Stuart McLean)  Think of some little things that mean a lot in this life.  A “thank you” from someone    An empty parking spot… A bird at the feeder… The aroma of a Starbucks… The sound of a child laughing… One vote… A firefly… A brush stroke on a painting… Maybe you can jot down little things that mean a lot to you.      ;-)  Jack

 FROM DOCTOR PAUL:  As we are on our way to visit our Stella in Quebec for her second birthday, your words resonate with me today. I was reminded recently of some of the most effective moments of parenting. I was reminded recently that those long heart to heart talks with kids are needed and really important but may not have as much impact as a parent thinks. It seems that some times, an off the cuff remark or a moment that a child observed has even more impact. Thank goodness the situation I was remined of was very positive but just thinking about this underscores how difficult and and important It is being a parent. Sometimes, being a parent is just plain scary!////FROM JACK:  Our children often remember some things that we have forgotten.  Sometimes that surprises me...both good and bad.  There's a children's song which has the verse..."Be careful little mouth, what you say!"

FROM JACK:  Would you take a moment today to offer a prayer on behalf of my friend, Nicky, who is struggling with the effects of autism in his life?

FROM HONEST JOHN:  Winning Words early in the morning.////FROM JACK:  I like your list.  This morning, I was not satisfied with what I was about to "send," so I did a rewrite to try and make the words more relevant to you and the others who see Winning Words when they turn on their computer.

FROM RI IN BOSTON:  Back in the 50's there was a popular song, "Little Things Mean A Lot", and they do...as your list indicates.  But a lot of people don't take notice.  Yesterday I took a bus where I had to go.  It was crowded, and I noticed the large number of people clinging to their iPods or Kindles, "little things" that mean a lot to them.  So many recede into their own "little" world.////FROM JACK:  There's a line from the "Little Things" song you mentioned..."a line a day when you're far away."  The responses I get from the readers of WWs are little things that mean a lot.

FROM JE IN MICHIGAN:  My little/BIG thing was being face to face with a hummingbird in my garden while I was planning the purple bee balm plant.  I’m working on the Sinking Fund renewal election for my school district. People who show up for the 9 a.m. meeting this morning to work on this committee are THE answers as to how this BIG thing is going to be passed. Back to People Who Need People……////FROM JACK:  Each flower is important to the humming bird.  Each voter is important in a school election.  Each child is important in a classroom.

FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  The little-est thing I hope to give to someone else or have given to me is when a little effort--even sacrifice?--is made to "move over" and give the other person a little space to speak, to do something, to be themselves more. To think of another person before myself is hard to do but I think big questions are answered by doing that. Thinking in Southfield,////FROM JACK:  Some people say, "I need my space!"  Others say, "That's OK; I'll give you some of mine."  I appreciate it when people are courteous drivers and give me space to move in.

FROM CL IN MICHIGAN:  Jacks winning words.////FROM JACK:  The responses to them.

FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER:  The fresh smell after a rain.  My girls' hug. A driver's yield to let me in. Whitecaps on the river. Music. ////FROM JACK:  You and your list remind me of Jimmy Durante.  When he'd crack a joke, people would laugh, and he'd respond, "I got a million of 'em."//// PFC RESPONSE:  JD is one of my favorite singers. He was rough but NEVER off key.  And always used violins to complement has gravely voice.

FROM ILLINOIS LIZ:  Rain clouds in the morning sky.////FROM JACK:  I'll bet nobody else comes up with that one, but I agree that it's a good choice.  .

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  A grandchild running into your arms...a sleepy smile....any smile from a stranger...a good book....a hug...hearing beautiful birdsongs...sunrises and sunsets....a good roast beef dinner...a remembered item (I rejoice when I can remember what I was looking for)...a good sense of humor...great Winning Words...His amazing Grace..the list could go on forever! ////FROM JACK:  How about a "special" word that someone has said to you?

FROM CJL IN OHIO:  a note from a friend....////FROM JACK:  Most of the mail these days consists of ads and political stuff.  When there's a personal letter in the bunch...it's a good day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The little-est thing I hope to give to someone else or have given to me is when a little effort--even sacrifice?--is made to "move over" and give the other person a little space to speak, to do something, to be themselves more. To think of another person before myself is hard to do but I think big questions are answered by doing that.
Thinking in Southfield,
S.H.