Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Winning Words 6/6/12
“No matter how old you are, there’s always something good to look forward to.” (Lynn Johnston) I wonder how old Lynn was when she wrote these words? I wonder if it was before or after her bout with cancer or her marriage problems? It takes a strong person to be positive when negative things are happening. “For Better Or Worse” is a good name for her comic strip. BTW, her birthday is 5/28/47 ;-) Jack

FROM JAN: I work in a doctor's office. A patient was told to return in six months. Many times our patients moan that they may not be alive at that point. This patient said she will make that date. She "can't die now because life is just too damn interesting! " Love that attitude.



////MORE FROM TS:  You jog my memory about  1947.  I finished my sophomore year at Marycrest, worked at the main headquarters of Deere and Co. on 3rd Ave for the summer where I started out in the mailroom and then progressed to secretary before returning to Marycrest where I was editor of the newspaper and of the yearbook.  Those were busy days  By the way, we forgot to mention D-Day yesterday.  I remember we were all juniors and about to take our finals that day, but it was hard to concentrate with all of the news.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Her comic strip is so "today".  She hits the nail on the head but uses such great humor to offset the facts.  I'm not surprised therefore, that this quote came from her.  There is always a reason to get up each day...always something to look forward to, if only to hear the birds sing.////FROM JACK:  This morning  I was asked to send Winning Words to someone who was perfectly healthy six months ago, but is now "hooked up to tubes."  There is always something to look forward to?  I'm going to have to ponder that one.////OJ RESPONSE:  I read this today in one of my devotions:  "When my friend Marci's father-in-law passed away, she stopped making his favorite dessert:  pineapple salad.  One day, her little boy aske why she no longer served it.  She replied, 'It reminds me of Papa, and it makes me sad:  Papa really liked that dessert.'  Her son replied in a chipper tone, 'Not better than heaven.!'"  And that what we have to look forward to each day..even the really really bad days.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Amen to Lynn Johnston!  She's old enough to be on  Medicare ...that's a plus, I guess! I like Henry Ward Beecher's observation, "A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs---jolted by every pebble in the road."  Maybe writing her comic strip keeps her optimistic?!   Good thought!

1 comment:

Jan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.