Tuesday, June 05, 2012

Winning Words 6/5/12
“John Wesley had a knack for making complex thoughts simple.” (Rev Bob) In a church newsletter I read that Wesley challenged his followers to live by 3 Simple Rules. 1) Do no harm. 2) Do good. 3) Stay in love with God. The article went on to say, “If we get this right, there’ll be much less fussing and fretting and much more loving.” Wesley said this over 300 years ago. It still makes a lot of sense today. ;-) Jack

FROM YOOPER FLICKA: THAT'S A SUPER ONE.....JOHN W. DID OUR BOY MARTIN L. HEAR THAT ONE ? ////FROM JACK: John may have picked it from his reading of Martin's works. He was very much influenced by Luther's commentary on the Book of Romans.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: It's a gift to be able to communicate simply. He definitely had a gift. If everyone followed his simple rules, what a different place this world would be.////FROM JACK: Speaking of keeping it simple...The Christophers have a simple message: "It's better to light a candle than to curse the darkness." This saying inspired a song which has these lines: "And if everyone lit just one little candle What a bright world this would be."////OJ RESPONSE: "This little light of mine! I'm gonna let it shine!"

FROM SL IN HOUSTON: And to this I add simply - Amen.////FROM JACK: That's simple enough. At least you didn't write, Amen. Amen. Amen.

FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE: You're no longer going to my Junk folder. what happened? Did you become LCMS?////FROM JACK: I'm "too liberal" for the LCMS, but God understands, and I'm satisfied with that. BTW, I was baptized by a LCMS pastor in our family living room in Des Moines. I wonder who it is that determines whether or not what I send you is junk?

FROM LIZ IN ILLINOIS: Simple is almost always better. It is more difficult 2 b precise than 2 b verbose. ////FROM JACK: I like the song, Simple Gifts. "'Tis the gift to be simple, 'Tis the gift to be free. 'Tis the gift to come down where you ought to be." I try to keep WWs out of the verbose category.

FROM BLAZING OAKS: Wesley does make a lot of sense...I once read How To Make A Speech: Be Sincere, Be Brief, Be seated ! Not a bad rule to go by, but DIFFICULT!! As for Love: "Who being loved, is poor?" Oscar Wilde. Amen////FROM JACK: One of the best rules is K.I.S.S.

FROM RI IN BOSTON: Many of us have a knack for making simple situations complex.////FROM JACK: I think that it's called, "Analysis paralysis."


FROM ILLINOIS LIZ:  Simple is almost always better. It is more difficult 2 b precise than 2 b verbiose. ////FROM JACK:  I like the song, Simple Gifts.  "'Tis the gift to be simple, 'Tis the gift to be free.  'Tis the gift to come down where you ought to be."  I try to keep WWs out of the verbose category.////LIZ AGAIN:  Simple Gifts was one of my mom's favorite songs, which I found out when Dad had it played @ her funeral. I don't recall having heard it b4... lovely!










No comments: