Friday, June 01, 2012

Winning Words 6/1/12
“The strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack.” (Rudyard Kipling) I used these words recently when I spoke at an event honoring “fallen police officers.” The Police Dept is only as strong as the individual officer. The same can be said of any organization, including the Church. Do you remember this song? ”I am the Church. You are the Church. We are the Church together.” ;-) Jack

FROM SHARIN' SHARON: So true.////FROM JACK: At the signing of the Declaration of Independence, Ben Franklin said, "Gentlemen we must all hang together or we shall most assuredly all hang separately."

FROM HY YO: I told you - I like this one!////FROM JACK: I do listen...once in a while.

FROM MY LAWYER: Somehow that song wasn't part of my repertoire growing up!!! I do like the thought, however.////FROM JACK: Perhaps you learned it as, "I am the synagogue. You are the synagogue. We are the synagogue together."

FROM DC IN MICHIGAN: This was about twenty years ago or so, wasn't it? In one of the Sunday School song books. I mean, sure I know it. I think I know the rest of the words too, but maybe I have forgotten some of them. Next time I go to Gloria Dei, I'll look that song up.////FROM JACK: It might have been more than 20 years ago.
(chorus) I am the Church, you are the Church, we are the Church together.
All who follow Jesus all around the world, yes, we’re the Church together.”

The church is not a building, the church is not a steeple,
the church is not a resting place, the church is a people. (chorus)

We're many kinds of people, with many kinds of faces,
all colors and all ages, too, from all times and places. (chorus)

Sometimes the church is marching, Sometimes it's bravely burning,
Sometimes it's riding, sometimes hiding, Always it's learning. (chorus)

And when the people gather, there's singing and there's praying,
there's laughing and there's crying sometimes, all of it saying: (chorus)

FROM GUSTIE MARLYS: Oh yes! I remember leading that song to our whole congregation while dressed in my Madrigal costume! Of course I ha motions and all! It was spectacular! Ha.////FROM JACK: You must have made a "spectacular" of yourself. Too bad it's not on YouTube.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: We learned that song long ago in a Bapist Church at VBS. It was before our church started VBS. It is still one of my favorites but I admit, I had forgotten it. Thanks for the reminder and thanks for honoring our fallen heroes!////FROM JACK: Speaking of VBS songs, did you ever sing about Noah and his arkie, arkie?

FROM CS IN MICHIGAN: I noted this quote when you used it at the Police Week Presentation. I like it and I was hoping that others remembered it as well. Glad you decided to use it again here today. ////FROM JACK: Some things are worth repeating. There are many situations in which the quote applies.

FROM WATERFORD JAN: We sang this at Good Samaritan very early in our consolidation process. Pastor Bud Miller was our Interim Pastor and his wife, Barbara, suggested this song. It was especially appropriate to remind us who the "church" really is when we were struggling to give up our former church buildings in order to perpetuate the lives of our merging congregations.////FROM JACK: One of my favorite cartoons shows two donkeys tied together with a rope. Each is reaching for a pile of hay, but the rope isn't long enough. They keep tugging, but it's no use. Finally the problem is solved when they cooperate and both go for the same hay.

FROM BLAZING OAKS: Ah, what memories that I AM THE CHURCH song brings. Used it at church, camp, VBS, etc. My youth choir sang it for special music...And you mentioned in your blog, Noah and the Arkie: I just had a young women who works with youth in Chicago area, ask me to write out the words for that song, so she could teach it to her church kids. I had her in Baptist Camp years ago! (She was at my church for a funeral!) Music sure plays an important role in our lives, doesn't it??! I am taking part in Ken Bradbury's new play "Couplings' which opens tonight in Petersburg...following the lives of 8 couples. I am the elderly woman with beginning Alzheimer's...! NOT typecasting!! (Still beautiful, and with a very loving husband...:-) HA! It's fun to do some drama occasionally ,too! All of our "packs" have strength, individual and as a group. Thanks for WW!////FROM JACK: The pack is stronger because of critters like you.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So true.
S.H. in MI