Thursday, March 01, 2012

Winning Words 3/1/12
“A narcissist is someone better looking than you are.” (Gore Vidal) Narcissus, in Greek mythology, was that young man who fell in love with a reflection of himself that he saw in a pool of water. The Harry Potter character, vain Narcissa Malfoy, was modeled after the myth. Having self-confidence is one thing. Becoming ego-centric is something else. Moderation is a worthy goal for much of life. ;-) Jack

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Hilarious!////FROM JACK: That's what Sec'y of State Clinton probably says when she looks in the mirror in the morning. In fact, that's probably what most of us say.

FROM ILLINOIS LIZ: I do the best I can to look the best I can, then I forget it. Superficiality has never been of importance to me. I am not impressed with people who are beautiful outside. It's what's inside. Yes, I know it's trite, but true.////FROM JACK: Poor Narcissus. Poor anybody who sees a reflection as the real thing.

FROM SHARIN' SHARON: Chuckling over your hilarious joke. Yep, that's what I say when I look in the mirror too, "Hilarious!//// After a good smile, I get on with it. ////FROM JACK: This morning someone told me about a dog who was carrying a bone in his mouth. He looked into a pool and saw a dog with a bone in his mouth. Dog #1 wanted that bone and grabbed for it. In the process, he lost the bone that he had. A lot of us are like that, when it comes to our wants.

FROM BLAZING OAKS: Love that quote! Mythology has certainly given us a rich heritage to plumb! I'd forgotten that character in Harry Potter, tho I've read all the books, and was fascinated with each one. What a fertile imagination!!////FROM JACK: Myth is an interesting word, and so is Parable.

FROM GUSTIE MARLYS: I know some people like that!////FROM JACK: "People all wrapped up in themselves make a small package."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Chuckling over your hilarious joke. Yep, that's what I say when I look in the mirror too, "Hilarious!//// After a good smile, I get on with it.
S.H. in MI