Thursday, February 09, 2012

Winning Words 2/9/12
“Every man has a good and a bad angel attending him in particular all his life long.” (Robert Burton) When comic strip characters are faced with a moral choice, the artist sometimes draws an angel on one shoulder and a devil on the other. Is that the way it is in real life? From the Adam and Eve story until now, temptations are before us…to do the right, or to do the wrong. How do you make your choice? ;-) Jack

FROM TAMPA SHIRL: Fortunately, I believe in my Guardian Angel, and so far life has gone pretty well. ////FROM JACK: To personify good and evil, seems to be helpful to some. God seemed to think that it was a good idea when he walked on earth as Jesus.

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: The good and bad angel contrast is one I used to illustrate profligate spending and versus rational saving.////FROM JACK: I should break down and get a copy of your book (Good Debt. Bad Debt) and read about the good and bad angels.

FROM SHARIN' SHARON: The artist does well to draw the angel and devil up close to a person's ears because trying to listen to God and disregard the devil's suggestions/advice is about all I know to do. Strange, heard before that the last sense a dying person still usually has is the sense of hearing. Time will tell whether been making good choices or bad choices. Seems like everything always come back in some form to help a person understand whether or not it is God one has been listening to.////FROM JACK: God has a louder voice than the devil, but some people choose to turn the volume down.

FROM LP IN PLYMOUTH: Growing up my dad said to pick some person in your life that you respect. When faced with a decision of right and wrong, consider tellnig that person what you chose. If you would have trouble with that then you are likely making the wrong choice. My dad said he always thought of his grandmother. I bet you didn't know that I used you. :)////FROM JACK: I didn't know that, and I'm humbled and honored.

FROM MEDD-O-LANE: How about ennie, menie, minie and moe? Over the years I have found if I start with the bad I end up with the good!////FROM JACK: That's one of the sayings I learned when I was growing up that I don't use anymore. Times have changed from those days...some of them for the better.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: The angel and devil on the shoulders is a wonderful illustration of good vs the bad. We all have a little of both. Hopefully, the good out-weighs the bad.////FROM JACK: Hopefully the good outweighs the bad, because of the moral training that we've received in our homes.

FROM RI IN BOSTON: The world is full of good and bad choices, and we choose one or the other. Sometimes we decide to do something, thinking it is a good choice, but it turns out to be a bad choice (like attempting to help someone and they end up suing you). Apparently the good and bad that Burton is talking about regards sinful or virtuous choices. When we are tempted we do the right or the wrong depending on the moment...who's watching, what do I get out of it, is it worth the risk, will I feel better afterward, is it just bad judgment or actually illegal? Then we act, and it's entirely our response, perhaps with the image of a haloed angel or a snide devil drifting in our mind. But we act according to our own will, and make the choice based on will we feel better after, or will we live to regret it.////FROM JACK: It's said that once you learn to ride a bicycle you never forget. I'd like to think that to make the right choice between good and evil is like riding that bicycle. I haven't ridden a bike in a long time, but I'm faced with right and wrong choices every day.

FROM ILLINOIS LIZ: Easy. I follow my conscience & can honestly say I never act contrary to what it tells me. ////FROM JACK: That's interesting. It causes me to wonder and a conscience. Evidently everyone's conscience is not the same. Why is that? Are we born with a conscience? Is it something that's learned?

FROM MOLINER JT: Pray--It's the ONLY answer !////FROM JACK: We need to remind ourselves that prayer is letting God know how we feel. It's not meant to try and get God to change his mind. Not my will, but thy will be done.







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The artist does well to draw the angel and devil up close to a person's ears because trying to listen to God and disregard the devil's suggestions/advice is about all I know to do. Strange, heard before that the last sense a dying person still usually has is the sense of hearing. Time will tell whether been making good choices or bad choices. Seems like everything always come back in some form to help a person understand whether or not it is God one has been listening to.
S.H. in MI