Friday, February 24, 2012

Winning Words 2/24/12
“The difference between a wise man and a wise guy is plenty.” (Galen Star Ross) I saw a listing of 48 traits of a wise person which included caring, commitment, insight and integrity. I also saw a list of synonyms for a wise guy which included smart alec, smarty-pants and wisenheimer. Barney Fife once said, “I’m a trained noticer.” It doesn’t take long to notice the difference between a wise guy and a wise man. ;-) Jack

FROM SHARIN' SHARON: Love your WW this morning. Made me chuckle. Haven't seen the word "wisenheimer" in a long, long time and also haven't thought about Barney Fife in a long time either. Mayberry was one of my favorite TV towns. And somehow it remains in my outlook on life and maybe other people's too.////FROM JACK: Don Knotts was good as The Incredible Mister Limpet and also as The Shakiest Gun In The West. I first became acquainted with his humor in No Time For Sergeants.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Oh this is so true. True traits surface faster than a speeding bullet!////FROM JACK: I read that in Speed Dating, most impressions were made in the first three seconds. I wonder long it takes to determine a wise man from a wise guy? How fast is a speeding bullet?////MORE FROM THE OUTHOUSE: I believe the dating impressions statement as usually first impressions are the lasting ones. I think a hurtful word is more damaging than and speeding bullet and can go just as fast!

FROM ILLINOIS LIZ: Barney Fife was a wise man, after all!////FROM JACK: You noticed that? You are a noticer like he was.

FROM BLAZING OAKS: Oh yes, there's WISE and there's "wise", and it doesn't take much maturity to discern the difference between "man" and "guy" ! Hopefully, with age, comes wisdom... Don Knotts was one of the funniest actors ever...That rubber face! Those googly eyes! Reminds me of The Apple Dumpling Gang": a movie I used to show to my Jr. Highs years ago. It probably wouldn't even be funny to kids today. C'est la Vie! ////FROM JACK: I'm reminded of what we'd say as teen-agers to someone who was lipping off. "What are you, wise or otherwise? If you don't shut up, you'll be lengthwise."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love your WW this morning. Made me chuckle. Haven't seen the word "wisenheimer" in a long, long time and also haven't thought about Barney Fife in a long time either. Mayberry was one of my favorite TV towns. And somehow it remains in my outlook on life and maybe other people's too.
S.H. in MI