Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Winning Words 2/22/12
“50 things you need to give up today.” (Marc & Angel Hack Life) Today marks the start of Lent, and I know of people who will observe the season by giving up certain things, such as sweets. M & A have other suggestions…all junk food, foolish habits, holding a grudge, trying to be perfect, trying to be everything to everyone. We all know of some way to improve our life. Trying it for 40 days is a start. ;-) Jack

FROM MK IN MICHIGAN: So true Jack I have a couple the Holy Spirit put in my heart, I will do my best and if I improve I hope to make the change permanent!!!////FROM JACK: Before there was Lent, Lao-tzu said: "The longest journey begins with the first step." Or as Bill Murray says in the movie, What About Bob? "Baby Steps! It works! All I have to do is take one step at a time, and I can do anything."

FROM DR J IN OHIO: In our house we are giving up spending on things we don't need. So no purchases except for NEEDS food, medicine, etc. We talk about giving the earth a break from all the resources used on stuff we really don't need. We've done this before... we'll see how it goes!////FROM JACK: That wasn't on Marc & Angel's list, but it deserves to be. It's a good and positive suggestion.

FROM SHARIN' SHARON: So far, so good. Great WW.////FROM JACK: "One day at a time, sweet Jesus," as the song goes.

FROM MISS PEGGY: I like to "give" during Lent rather than "give up". Thinking we all need more positives in our life. We try to put aside extra money/change and then whatever my boys are able to save is matched by us. At the end of Lent, we write a note and send a check to the SE MI Synod.////FROM JACK: I think that this is a great idea. Children learn from what they see and experience in the home.

FROM MV IN MICHIGAN: I like these Jack. Also take on a new habit like reading a scripture verse each day, helping someone special each day. In a way, you are giving up your time to take on a new habit.////FROM JACK: Most of the time the emphasis is on getting rid of bad habits. Yours is the optimistic emphasis on the development of good habits. A good habit is formed by following through on the good idea.

FROM ILLINOIS LIZ: They say it takes 30 days 2 make or break a habit so Lent is a gr8 way 2 change ur life! ////FROM JACK: Maybe that's why the majority of people don't make New Year's resolutions or don't give up something for Lent. They don't want to get into the habit. (That's out of character for me...TOO negative.) To seek to charge life for the better, whatever the season, is the right way to go.

FROM BP IN NAPLES: NO NO NO, In will not give up winning words for lent. I'll try to be less emotional and more concise in my responses. That is a big sacrifice, in addition to other things I will address in my life. ////FROM JACK: You are who you are. If you were to change the tone of your responses I would think that someone had hacked into your computer.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Like some of your other readers, I try to do more "good" each day: send a card, give a call, give to Gleaners, etc etc. It works for us. Great list though!////FROM JACK: Most of those "do-gooders" can be found doing good beyond the 40 days of Lent.

FROM JT IN MINNESOTA: I continue to enjoy and appreciate your Winning Words. I often send them off to friends and family. Thank you for your messages.////FROM JACK: In grade school someone would come up to you and give you a punch on the arm and say, "Pass it on!" Soon everyone would receive a punch. I think that your idea of "passing on" Winning Words is a better thing to do.

FROM BLAZING OAKS: I like the idea of adding something during Lent...extra reading time for inspirational literature, extra calls on those who need a boost, extra giving to those in need, (which can involve sacrificing some personal pleasures), etc. I once gave up coffee, which I love, and had a terrible headache for several days. I guess it brought to mind the suffering and sacrifice emphasized at Lent...(!) Giving up sweets and desserts would certainly benefit the waistline as well as help focus on more spiritual things! I like this quote from Roger Ebert's Memoir (the film critic) : "We must try to contribute Joy to the world. That is true no matter what our problems, our health, our circumstances. I didn't always know this, and am happy I lived long enough to find it out." He suffered complications after thyroid cancer surgery and lost the ability to speak.////FROM JACK: Like salt and pepper season our food, the season of Lent has a way of adding flavor to life.

FROM BBC IN ILLINOIS: Interesting; I like the concept of giving up something for lent and then taking something on////FROM JACK: In medieval times there seems to have been more of a graphic emphasis of the sacrificial suffering of Jesus. Lent would attempt to emulate that suffering. Giving up eating a Hershey's candy bar doesn't seem like much of an emulation, does it?

FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER: For lent we give up good stuff. We need another version to give up bad stuff. ////FROM JACK: I tried to suggest some of the "bad" in my commentary. Maybe you have more ideas. //// MORE FROM PLAIN FOLKS: Some of the bad stuff we could give up for Lent...Negativism, criticism and voyeurism. Maybe your readers can come up with more.

FROM CJL IN OHIO: Regina Brett writes in today's Plain Dealer (Cleveland newspaper) that "Lent's not what you give up; it's how you reach out". She then suggests several ways including "Giving thanks for 40 minutes at the graves of your ancestors for all the sacrifices they made for you" and "Give someone else's religion a chance. Visit a different church, temple or mosque".////FROM JACK: It's good to know that Regina is continuing to write. Although it's not during Lent, our local mosque is having an Open House on May 6, and is inviting the community to attend. Some adults and children and their imam had a part in our community's Thanksgiving Eve worship service.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL: It was amazing to see so many people at the noon Mass today and the emphasis was on getting ready for Easter in ways that each has decided is best for him or her. This is a good time of the year to get priorities straight.////FROM JACK: It is truly a time for contemplation when ashes are put on your forehead and you hear the words, "You are dust, and to dust you shall return." After that, we long for the message of Easter.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So far, so good. Great WW.
I'm with you.
S.H. in MI