Thursday, February 16, 2012

Winning Words 2/16/12
“Life is not a dress rehearsal.” (Rose Tremain) Yes, I did watch (again) “Groundhog Day” on Feb 2. I’m beginning to feel like I’m Phil Connors. I’ve seen the film so many times, I know most of the lines. “Watch out for that first step. It’s a doozy!” I often wonder what I would do, if I were to live life over again. But, that’s fantasy. We need to make the best use of each new day that is ours. That’s reality! ;-) Jack

FROM RI IN BOSTON: Here's a thought that your WW brought to my mind. Your comment, "We need to make the best use of each new day", is significant. Our entire life is not a rehearsal, but one might consider any day in our life a rehearsal for another day ahead. We can learn from the events of any day, and tuck that away in case the situation occurs again, and we'll be prepared to manage better.////FROM JACK: It's surprising how many people are content to live in a fantasy world. Dreaming is nice, but there comes a time when one has to face reality. My feeling is that it's best to do so with an optimistic outlook.

FROM MT IN PENNSYLVANIA: It's on my all-time top-ten list, and it inspired me to start playing music again. I was a performing musician in high school and college; also taught guitar; but abandoned it after starting my first business (screen-printing, which later morphed into glasswork). Didn't play at all for almost 25 years, but Phil's decision to learn piano 'flipped the switch' for me! Every day we do live the same day, in a way, surrounded by opportunities to 'do right' for ourselves and others.////FROM JACK: The part of the story that many tend to overlook is how frustrating it was for Phil to be caught in the time-warp and not to be able to do anything about it. At least, we can look forward to a new day that is not the same old same old.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Gary's favorite movie. I wouldn't trade anyday for one which has passed. It's always amazing what God has in store for us each day. Today will be a doozy!!////FROM JACK: You'd better watch out for that "doozy" step. It was a cold and slushy puddle of water. After a while, Phil learned to avoid it. Experience can teach us something, if we're willing to learn.

FROM ILLINOIS LIZ: In a way, each new day is a small chance to live life over again... all we can do is our best. Mistakes were made to be learned from...////FROM JACK: A poem, "The New Leaf" seems to fit.
He came to my desk with a quivering lip, the lesson was done. "Have you a new sheet for me, dear teacher? I've spoiled this one." I took his sheet, all soiled and blotted, And gave him a new one all unspotted. And into his tired heart I cried, "Do better now, my child."
I went to the throne with a trembling heart, the day was done. "Have you a new day for me, dear Master? I've spoiled this one." He took my day, all soiled and blotted, and gave me a new one all unspotted. And into my tired heart he cried, "Do better now, my child."

FROM CL IN MICHIGAN: Life is like live theater, you do make mistakes but the show goes on and we learn to improvise.////FROM JACK: The only play I was ever in was in 6th Grade, so I can't remember whether or not I improvised...but I do know about improvising in real life.

FROM PC IN MICHIGAN: Too funny. We just watched that movie with sons, N and A. :) When they figured out it was the same day again and again, that first realization, the smiles on their faces were priceless. ////FROM JACK: It's a time of transition when children and parents can begin to interact on a different level. "Oh, now I get it!"

FROM BLAZING OAKS: For every road taken, there are at least a couple that are not followed, and one does sometimes fantasize about what life would have been, had you chosen a different path (one of my "serious" BF's is a multi-million dollar lawyer in CA, one a psychiatrist in GA,, and my H.S. sweetheart was a Fire Chief. But I prayed very hard about choosing a life mate, and God I'm sure led me to my soul mate. My adult S.S. class discussed this very point last Sunday. Almost all envisioned a different life situation at some point that was different than the road taken!////FROM JACK: It's fun to play the game, "What if...," but there are so many variables that go into the days and years, that if we could see them, we might say, "But for the grace of God." I like Robert Frost's poem, "The Road Not Taken."







No comments: