Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Winning Words 2/15/12
“Recalculating!” (GPS voice) Has it happened to you? You haven’t followed the GPS directions, and a voice says, “Recalculating.” Wait! Some changes have to be made. Last week a friend and I were talking about the importance of making good decisions. He said, “Sometimes we have to “recalculate,” like the GPS lady says.” Yes, there are times when we may have to revise our life’s direction. ;-) Jack

FROM NORM IN FLORIDA: I tell that to people all the time. Thanks for the YEARS of winning words. I remember when you started that mission.////FROM JACK: I've lost track of the number of years, but I try to keep track of each one of the over 400 who receive the daily Winning Words. You and the others are what keeps me programmed to get up each day at 5 am to fire up the pc.

FROM CWR IN B'MORE: .........good one. I do that daily.////FROM JACK: Before or after breakfast?

FROM HS IN MICHIGAN: O yeah - I know that one!////FROM JACK: Some people, like you, have pressure jobs where recalculating is always going on.////ANOTHER HS RESPONSE: True. We all have our own pressures. ////FROM JACK: Yes, but look what happens to the balloon when the pressure is removed.


FROM ILLINOIS LIZ: I am always open to "recalculation." That, in itself, is a "plan."////FROM JACK: Some become annoyed at suggestions to recalculate. Others are grateful for help that is offered.

FROM RI IN BOSTON: I think there's a moment or two every day in my life that I mentally "recalculate", redirecting myself about things ahead.////FROM JACK: By making choices, we are always recalculating.

FROM PASTY PAT: I could be imagining it, but she sounds distinctly irritated after the 3rd or 4th time. ////FROM JACK: Who wouldn't get irritated when someone ignores suggestions time after time?

FROM MT IN PENNSYLVANIA: I got a chuckle out of this one. Two years ago, I 'rescued' my ex-wife from a dangerous living situation (with her son and abusive/sociopathic daughter-in-law), by driving her and her 3 cats from Stockton CA to Philadelphia. (3,206 miles!) Amazingly, it wasn't an unpleasant experience -- and I became quite fond of the 'GPS lady' saying "Recalculating...", because it shaved so many hours off of the travel time!////FROM JACK: It sounds as though you had to do some recalculating, besides that suggested by the GPS voice.

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: Reminds me of watching politicians, always calculating and recalculating with their GPS set to your wallet (sorry only one cup of coffee so far today). ////FROM JACK: Most of us don't feel comfortable with "calculating" individuals. They don't make very good friends (or political representatives).

FROM SHARIN' SHARON: I've recalculated lots of times but, you know, sometimes it's such a relief when someone else recalculates. There are three situations I can think of right away, where some people are making themselves miserable with their decisions and seem to be afraid to recalculate and take a different perspective, do something they've been against all along. Then I recalculate, especially in my prayer life, and try to be more understanding, more compassionate, and somehow, it's a mystery, change does happen and people get to a good destination. So far anyway. I love these WW!!!!!////FROM JACK: When decision choices are not clear, it's always good to have a trusted friend who will offer suggestions.

FROM CL IN MICHIGAN: Without a doubt life is a continual recalculating. I recall the constant recalculating I had to do in 1982 when I was called from the business world to go into full-time Church work.////FROM JACK: The Lord's Prayer helps us as we ask God to assist with our recalculating.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: I have a GPS in my car. However, I don't really use it. I never go anywhere without excellent directions from a person. I do not have a "Compass in my Nose" (a book I have) and I continually get lost. The GPS was in use when my husband was driving and it kept sending us down one-way streets, the wrong way. After that, I have never used it again. I'm sure they have the bugs out of the GPS now. That was a long time ago. I use God as my re-calculator. He lets me know when I'm on the wrong path.////FROM JACK: There's a WW2 book/movie called, God Is My Co-Pilot. It sounds as though God is your co-pilot, too.

FROM JE IN MICHIGAN: My life is a series of “recalculating.” There’s so many issues, situations, etc…that I’m constantly swirling around at work.////FROM JACK: As Gilda Radner would say, "If it ain't one thing, it's another." Life is one recalculation after another...for all of us.

FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER: "Full steam behind!"////FROM JACK: It looks like you need a GPS.

FROM BLAZING OAKS: HA! good one. I do not have GPS, but John and Janis used it constantly while we were touring CA, and we often heard "Recalculating"....It is a universal condition. We'd be pretty "lost" if we couldn't recalculate our decisions, and situations when needed!////FROM JACK: The GPS, another invention that would stun our parents and grandparents. Others...cell phones, ATMs, computers, on and on.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've recalculated lots of times but, you know, sometimes it's such a relief when someone else recalculates. There are three situations I can think of right away, where some people are making themselves miserable with their decisions and seem to be afraid to recalculate and take a different perspective, do something they've been against all along. Then I recalculate, especially in my prayer life, and try to be more understanding, more compassionate, and somehow, it's a mystery, change does happen and people get to a good destination. So far anyway. I love these WW!!!!!\
S.H. in MI