Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Winning Words 2/14/12
“We are most alive when we are in love.” (John Updike) Last week a man asked my wife and I how long we had been married? “Wow, 53 years! What’s your secret? I’ve been married 3 times, and I want to know.” He looked me in the eye. Without thinking, it came out…”I love her very much.” We sign “Love” on our Valentine cards. This time, let’s give some extra thought to what that word means. ;-) Jack

FROM RG IN ARIZONA: Heinrich Zimmer is credited with the quote, "The best things in life can't be said." The experience of Love is one of those things. It seems we are left with the attempt to capture the experience in a word, and the word is truly inadequate. We might say that Love leaves us respectfully speechless. ////FROM JACK: I went to school with Albert Zimmer. His father was called Heinny. I wonder if that was the Zimmer you are referring to? Regardless, Hallmark fills in for those who can't say "I love you."

FROM TS IN MICHIGAN: Marriage is love and a commitment, too. Congratulations on your 53 years. My wife and I just celebrated number 43! God bless, and continue to fill you with His love.////FROM JACK: I read recently that no one should get married today without a "pre-nup." To me, that seems to be starting out in a negative direction.

FROM PASTY PAT: A "love"-ly story. Happy Valentine's Day to you both!////FROM JACK: No one has come asking to make a movie about it. Maybe Ryan O'Neal and Ali McGraw aren't available.

FROM ME IN NEWPORT BEACH: Nice.////FROM JACK: Lots of nice memories, too; some of which, include you.

FROM CL IN MICHIGAN: In today's society longevity in marriage is a rarity. Lois and I hear the same comments when the subject comes we have been together 57 years. I don't know what happened but today it seems if you disagree just get divorced and start over. When our youngest daughter was in college she decided it would be cheaper and more fun to live in a house with seven others girls rather than the dorm. Her friends were great kids but they marveled that Diane still lived with her birth parents. The other seven all lived in blended families.////FROM JACK: I think that if both bride and groom believe that their vows are made before God, and if they ask for God's blessing on their marriage...that can be the beginning of 57 years.

FROM BLAZING OAKS: I'm so happy you've had those 53 yrs. together. We had 51, and it is never enough!! Maria Edgeworth, Irish author opined, "If we take care of the moments, then the years will take care of themselves." Bill used to say, a love relationship either spirals up, up and up, or goes down, down and down. Commitment and appreciation for each other certainly helps it to spiral in the right direction! I have kept a saying from an old card my "sweetheart" sent to me:
When I first said that I loved you,
there was no way I could know
How the feelings that I had back then
would deepen and would grow----
Now I realize how true love builds
on all that's gone before,
And I know that with each passing year,
I'll love you more and more!
(Emily Matthews)
A precious thought! Up, up, up, and away!!!!!!!!////FROM JACK: For some, a marriage is like a tornado. It spirals furiously; it goes up and down; it meanders; there are periods of calm. BTW, a nice poem!


1 comment:

Ray Gage said...

Heinrich Zimmer is credited with the quote, "The best things in life can't be said." The experience of Love is one of those things. It seems we are left with the attempt to capture the experience in a word, and the word is truly inadequate. We might say that Love leaves us respectfully speechless.