Friday, December 23, 2011

Winning Words
“It’s not the gift, but the thought that counts.” (Henry van Dyke) We can learn something new every day. For example---the source of today’s WWs. I’ve heard the saying many times but never connected it with van Dyke. The quote seems relevant at Christmastime, just like another of Henry’s writings, “The Other Wise Man.”---which is worth reading and is relatively short.. I Googled it. ;-) Jack

FROM SHARIN' SHARON: Enjoying right now the thought that a bit of thinking must have gone into choosing this morning's WW. Thanks to Henry van Dyke, thanks to you, thankful for every gift that comes to us this Christmas holiday, but above it all that God came down to us and was born a tiny little baby, vulnerable in every way and Who has gone through every thing that we go through in this world. Who would have every thunk this possible--but God. Contemplating mystery at the computer,////FROM JACK: I wonder if Henry would have written as he did if he'd had access to a PC....or the Bible writers, for that matter.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Amazing, I never knew that quote could be attributed to anyone. I read "The Other Wise Man". I have read it before but many many years ago in college. I had forgotten it. Thanks for sending this on as it is a wonderful Christmas story. Merry Christmas! ////FROM JACK: Many New Testament sayings are simply quotes from the Old Testament, and the source of some of them is lost in antiquity.

FROM JS IN MICHIGAN: I wonder if Barney Google ever "googled anything? Have a blessed Christmas. Thanks for having me on WW....////FROM JACK: Googling goes far back with me. I belonged to the Barney Google Fan Club when I was in high school. I also liked the popular Barney Google song...
Barney Google, with the goo-goo-goo-ga-ly eyes.
Barney Google tried to enter paradise.
When Saint Peter saw his face, he said, "Go to the other place".
Barney Google, with the goo-goo-goo-ga-ly eyes

FROM BLAZING OAKS: I ALSO NEVER CONNECTED THAT SAYING WITH ANYONE IN PARTICULAR...I'LL HAVE TO MAKE TIME TO REREAD HIS 'THE OTHER WISEMAN' . IT'S BEEN A LONG TIME SINCE I READ IT, BUT REMEMBER IT WAS A GOOD ONE! THERE HAVE BEEN SOME TIMES WHEN WE WERE GIFTED BY INDIVIDUAL PARISHIONERS, THAT WE HAD TO REMEMBER THE SAYING TODAY! :-) It IS the thought that counts!!////FROM JACK: ....so many gifts that we seem to take for grated. God is good!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Enjoying right now the thought that a bit of thinking must have gone into choosing this morning's WW. Thanks to Henry van Dyke, thanks to you, thankful for every gift that comes to us this Christmas holiday, but above it all that God came down to us and was born a tiny little baby, vulnerable in every way and Who has gone through every thing that we go through in this world. Who would have every thunk this possible--but God.
Contemplating mystery at the computer,
S.H. in MI