Thursday, December 22, 2011

Winning Words 12/22/11
“All we need is confidence.” (Charlie Brown) I saw this quote in a waiting room magazine and tore it out. I don’t like it when other people do that, but they were good words, and I like Charlie Brown. Early in my ministry I went to a seminar where we talked about the importance of having confidence if we were to expect results from our actions. Pastors? Business people? Anyone? It works. ;-) Jack

FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER: Confidence gives us "staying power." And staying power is what gets things done. ////FROM JACK: When my mother and step-father would come for a visit, he would say, "Guests, like fish, begin to smell after three days." During their stay of 3 days, he'd get the windows washed and do other odd jobs. Then, it was back to Moline.

FROM MT IN PENNSYLVANIA: Reminds me of something I read somewhere once: "90% of success is showing up."////FROM JACK: Your response reminds me of another word..DEPENDABILITY.

FROM SHARIN' SHARON: Struggling with your WW because currently experiencing a situation where someone doesn't have confidence in someone else and the person's job is in the balance. Yesterday meditating about failure, today success. There are some things you just do want to see work out for people, for God's Work among us. Like the success of Charlie Brown.////FROM JACK: In the seminar, we were helped to see our strong points and to concentrate on them...instead of negativity. As the old song goes, "So you see it's all up to you You can be better than you are."

FROM GUSTIE MARLYS: Yes it does! We just finished our 37th Christmas Season with LARKS--it really took off when I became confident in what I was doing. ////FROM JACK: Think of how many people have benifitted by that confidence...the singers, the listeners, and you!

FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE: David seemed to be a good example of that in his early years.////FROM JACK: Goliath found that out, didn't he?

FROM BLAZING OAKS: So True. And as I wrote yesterday, the key to self-confidence is preparation! One of the best gifts we can give our kids is self-esteem and confidence. That makes them winners, and able to lead. As Maria Von Trapp (Julie Andrews) sang in Sound of Music..."I have Confidence in Confidence alone..."! :-) ////FROM JACK: "Yes, we can!" was a slogan that helped Obama win the nomination of his party.

FROM CL IN MICHIGAN: Early in my career a presenter once said to me "It is about attitude not aptitude" It has been my guide for at least the past 50 years////FROM JACK: Another "tude" that I like is fortitude.

FROM CS IN MICHIGAN: My husband is appalled. He always gives me a hard time when I might tear out a great recipe from a waiting room magazine! So it was fun for me to point out that I have a respected partner in crime. I agree with the quote. Taking on new challenges, you have to be a little fearless, and the confidence builds with each accomplishment. I was that way about teaching. I've been told A teacher has to be a bit of an actor--acting confident though you might not feel it--"to fake it til you make it" . It helped me a lot.////FROM JACK: I deliberated with myself before doing the deed. My rationale...Who's going to read a month-old Fortune magazine anyway? Situation ethics works that way sometimes.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Remember when we could read words and sayings in a book or magazine and remember them? Now we have to either write them down or tear them out. Like the words though, we all need more confidence.////FROM JACK: Thanks for the reminder. I'm going to blog it, so I don't forget.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Struggling with your WW because currently experiencing a situation where someone doesn't have confidence in someone else and the person's job is in the balance. We don't get our confidence by ourselves and just reflecting a bit on what the seminar presenter might have said that helped you develop your confidence. The person I'm thinking about needs that--I'll have to try to support. Mainly all I can think to do is love and prayer. Yesterday meditating about failure, today success. There are some things you just do want to see work out for people, for God's Work among us. Like the success of Charlie Brown.
S.H. in MI