Monday, May 09, 2011

Winning Words 5/9/11
“There is only one beautiful child in the world, and every mother has it.” (Chinese Proverb) In my family, it was my sister. Today’s proverb causes me to muse about “What is beauty?” People magazine tends to focus on the physical aspect, but, as the saying goes, “Beauty is more than skin deep.” Have you got some thoughts on beauty? I think that my mother was a beautiful lady. ;-) Jack

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Beauty is so much more than on the outside. My grandma, Mildred, was 2 years old when she fell out of her highchair. She damaged the muscle in her left eye and thereafter her eye was extremely crooked. In many of the photos we have of her, she is photographed from the side. But she was the most beautiful person I have ever met. She never raised her voice, never said a bad word about anyone and was extremely generous with her time, talents and love. She was beloved by everyone. My grandma was also quite deaf and had two hearing aids. (I remember sometimes they would whistle.) She also had a special dial and light on her phone which allowed her to see someone was calling and to enable her to hear. If you
forgot to turn off the speaker before you answered the phone, your ear would be blasted with the sound. She also did ceramics, leather tooling, made all of the birthday, Baptism, Confirmation and Wedding cakes for the family and even sold them out of her house. She made beautiful ceramic dolls. My sisters and I supplied the hair for her dolls. We all had long hair and when it reached the correct length, our braids would be cut for another dolly. She also had a doll hospital and people came from all over the Detroit area to have their antique dolls fixed or to purcahse one she made. But perhaps the most important thing she (and grandpa) did was to be a faithful servant of God. They both had very strong faith in Jesus and each night they prayed the Lord's Prayer together, as my husband and I still do. That is what being beautiful is to me. FROM JACK: What a "beautiful" story. They should put something like than in People magazine.

FROM MOLINER CF: Beautiful spelled backwards is "Lufituaeb" which in a little known Chinese proverb, which means "one who resembles a pig." FROM JACK: The Chinese word for pig is, "TEHC." MORE FROM CF: Another old Chinese proverb is, "One who edits provincial dialect get pig's knuckle sandwich."

FROM CJL IN OHIO: But you weren't? Whatever happened, you turned out pretty good. FROM JACK: It was just like with your family.

FROM JC IN HONG KONG: Forget the "beauty", I don't have enough time! I'd rather talk about what you mean by "lady". FROM JACK: Well she's all you'd ever want, She's the kind they'd like to flaunt and take to dinner.
Well she always knows her place. She's got style, she's got grace, She's a winner. She's a Lady.

FROM JO IN MICHIGAN: I used to think that physical beauty was what it was all about. As I got older, I realized that the truly beautiful people were those you felt most comfortable being around. It's kind of funny...people whom you might not think are attractive become so if they have pleasant personalities...
FROM JACK: Love is blind.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL: I think that every child is beautiful and unique in his or her own way. FROM JACK: I guess that includes you and me, too.

No comments: