Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Winning Words 5/4/11
“We love the Lord, of course, but we often wonder what he finds in us.” (Ed Howe) I think that most people find it easier to love God than to love themselves. “God is OK, but I’m not so OK,” is the thought that is bothersome. I try to remember that God loves me, not because I’m so loveable, but because he cares about me. Keep this thought in mind for yourself today. God knows you and cares about you. ;-) Jack

FROM JS IN MICHIGAN: I think God loves you, Jack, because you are very "lovable."....kind of an adorable leprechaun FROM JACK: Oompah! MORE FROM JS: Great story....enjoy the synod assembly....there will be lots of "oompah" there!!! FROM JACK: I will try to stay away from the microphones. I hope you do, too

OOMPAH....President Harry S. Truman’s told a story of the congressman running for election in a district with a large Native American population. He went out to the reservation on the occasion of a powwow and was taken by a tribal elder to the rodeo grounds where a large crowd was gathered. The congressman gave his standard speech and was delighted by the response from his audience. “Oompah! oompah!” the crowd chanted after each campaign promise, so he went longer than planned. After one final “oompah” his host stepped up, thanked the congressman and said he’d accompany him back to his car. As they crossed the grounds near the holding pens for the rodeo stock, the congressman spoke of the enthusiasm voiced by his audience. “Yes, yes,” his host said. “Oh, careful, don’t step in that oompah.”

FROM JC IN HONG KONG: Substitute men and their wives, and you have the original version of your quote.
FROM JACK: Yes, you have a very understanding wife...and a loving God, too.

FROM DM IN MICHIGAN: Thanks Jack this hit the spot today. FROM JACK: Since the SPOT has a habit of not staying in the same place, I'm glad today's WWs found it.

FROM YOOPER NANCY: Thank you. FROM JACK: Du är välkommen

"You are much grander than you think you are."
— Asara Lovejoy: Human potential author and coach

FROM DP IN MINNESOTA: Regarding today's WW: I need to be reminded often that God cares about me-- why do we forget so quickly? FROM JACK: I choose WWs first, because they appeal to me. Hopefully, others see value in my choice. Symbiotic?

"The things we hate about ourselves aren't more real than the things we like about ourselves."
--Ellen Goodman, American columnist, author, speaker and commentator

FROM BLAZING OAKS: Tony Campolo says, "God is CRAZY about you! He puts your pictures on his refrigerator, he carries your photo in his wallet..." Figuratively speaking, of course! It helps to "picture" this, and feel really special! Just like every mother crow thinks her babe (babies) are the blackest! FROM JACK: What about the people who don't "buy into" Tony's message, who can see no reason for God to care about them?

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: The wonder is He still loves us even when we are unlovable. God is good and
merciful and for that we can be thankful. FROM JACK: What do you do when you wonder?

FROM CJL IN OHIO: How else can I live with any certainty? FROM JACK: That's the spirit!!!

FROM EMT SINGS IN MICHIGAN: We are so hard on ourselves, I think. A recent meditation that I read ended with this: Self condemnation is spiritual clutter--help me to forgive myself 70 times 7. FROM JACK: When I was first ordained, the worship service began with a confession..."We poor, miserable sinners..." In the parable of the Pharisee and the publican, Jesus commended the one who prayed, "God, be merciful to me a sinner." Having said this....In order to receive the forgiveness of our sins, we must be aware of sin. We don't have all of the answers, do we?

No comments: