Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Winning Words 5/24/11
“Be on the alert to recognize your prime at whatever time of your life it may occur.” (Muriel Spark) An online conversation gave these opinions on the prime of life…You won’t know until it passes…It went downhill when I passed 10…It’s whatever you want it to be…Physically 20s; emotionally 40s; financially 60s. Do you recognize one of these as yours? As for me, I like to think that I’ve had several primes. ;-) Jack

FROM EMT SINGS IN MICHIGAN: And maybe the best is yet to come!////FROM JACK: As the ballplayers say: "Take it one game (day) at a time."

FROM TAMPA SHIRL: That is me, too. Every day is a prime time. ////FROM JACK: There are many definitions of the word, prime. I like the one associated with prime rib.

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: My mother-in-law is showing me the prime of life at age 92. She used to always tell me how "to do stuff", like more experienced and knowledgeable woman telling younger inexperienced and less knowledgeable woman how to. It was always sort of irritating but I bore up under it. But I'm finding her later years so refreshing. She seems so at peace and no need to be more experienced and knowledgeable than me, or anyone else for that matter. I guess she's at the point where she realizes she's in her prime and doesn't feel like she has to prove anything any more. We have a much freer and not competitive relationship and, if it be my lot, I look forward to my 90's too.////FROM JACK: My mother passed her driver's test at age 95. I was proud that she did that. But then she parked the car for the last time and said, "It's no fun growing old. You'll see.

FROM PEPPERMINT MARY: it's good to be "primed" and ready to go at any given time.////FROM JACK: Have you ever "primed the pump" before get water from a well? Do you know what that means?////MORE FROM MARY: Oh, yeah. We had a pump well at the cottage in Wisconsin. I loved collecting water. Good times!

FROM MOLINER CF: I think all you can do is point to the prime of your life so far. Who knows what lies ahead.////FROM JACK: As Robert Browning put it: "Grow old along with me. The best is yet to be." BTW, was Browning Field named after him?

FROM BLAZING OAKS: It sounds as if most of us do have several primes, if the 20's, 40's, and 60's hold true! I know I am past mine...less creative, witty, and athletic than 20 or 30 yrs. ago! Singing voice not as effective, etc. But I can still give a program, swing a golf club, lead hymns, and have a wonderful time with family and friends, so that is "prime" for me! :-) ("Say, she was happy: Say, she knew it!")////FROM JACK: The real question is..."What is prime?" I say that it's being effective in whatever you do at whatever your age might be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My mother-in-law is showing me the prime of life at age 92. She used to always tell me how "to do stuff", like more experienced and knowledgeable woman telling younger inexperienced and less knowledgeable woman how to. It was always sort of irritating but I bore up under it. But I'm finding her later years so refreshing. She seems so at peace and no need to be more experienced and knowledgeable than me, or anyone else for that matter. I guess she's at the point where she realizes she's in her prime and doesn't feel like she has to prove anything any more. We have a much freer and not competitive relationship and, if it be my lot, I look forward to my 90's too.
S.H. in MI