Friday, May 20, 2011

Winning Words 5/20/11
“Do whatever you love, love whatever you do, leave the world a better place, and don’t pick your nose.” (Jef Mallett) Jef is a Michigan humorist who draws the comic strip, Frazz. He has an offbeat sense of humor as shown in today’s quote. Maybe that’s why I like his work. There are several messages in what Jef is saying. See if they apply to your situation (I don’t mean the last part). ;-) Jack

FROM TAMPA SHIRL: I can't get the visual of the last part out of my mind. I guess it is just not my sense of humor. To each his own. FROM JACK: The humor is in the unexpected ending....For example: I asked God for a bike, nut I know God doesn't act in that way. So, I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness. I wonder if the word, anagnorisis, would apply here?

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Wow, and updated version of the Golden Rule...sort of! I love it! His cartoons are a plus. I ususally read them because I do the crossword puzzles. Although, I have a big stack I haven't had time to do yet. Happy Friday! FROM JACK: Now, I'll have to spend the day figuring out how to connect it with the idea of the Golden Rule.

FROM BB IN MICHIGAN: Ha! Ha! LOL. FROM JACK: I hesitated to use the Mallett quote, because some people don't see humor as I do. I'm glad that you LedOL early this morning.

FROM JC IN HONG KONG: I like this variation better: God has showed you what is good. To act justly, to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God. Oh, and to not pick your nose at the dinner table. FROM JACK: That's the way you might tell it in church. I don't know if Jef goes to church. MORE FROM JC: People's worlds are so small these days, ususally only including themselves! Not sure how I would explain this elitist WW to the vast majority of the global population who have trouble making ends meet due to the Financial Fraud perpetrated by American and European bankers, politicians and accountants of the past two generations. (Including their supporters.) Being an optimist, I suppose I would urge these poverty-stricken folk to Love trying to make ends meet. There is a challenge in that, for sure! Meanwhile, suicide rates are up all the around the world, notably and including farmers in India and the general population in Ireland and elsewhere, because bankers Love foreclosing on little guys and pocketing BIG BONUSES, and they do it well, even though I sense some nose-picking is taking place! Obviously, the world is not a better place for most people. The few continue to disgrace the rest of the human race. (One million worlds have improved, seven billion worlds are dying.) FROM JACK: Somehow, I fail to see how today's WWs are elitist, but I agree that we need more caring people in the world.

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: Working in the Farm today, planting. The two apple trees there are looking good--2 years old now. I remember Pastor Rol telling us in Bible study once that, when he got a little discouraged with us church people, he would go out and plant a flower that would come up and bloom. Strange, but it seems as much as we get culturally more and more technological, still all those old agricultural references in the Bible resonate in our collective memories. I'm expecting to be praying while working today with my hands in the soil. FROM JACK: "Ora et labora," is translated, "Pray and work." St Benedict had that as a rule for monks living communally under the authority of an abbot. Since about the 7th century it has also been adopted by communities of women. During the 1500 years of its existence, it has become the leading guide in Western Christianity for monastic living in community.

FRPM MOLINER CF: I was very fortunate to live that dream during my career. Whether I leave the world a better place remains to be seen. You are better off picking your nose than picking a fight.//// FROM JACK: Yes, I enjoyed my "job," too. One is blessed to have a job and doubly-blessed to have one that is liked.

FROM BLAZING OAKS: HA! I don't know Fraz, but I like his creator...off beat is usually thought-provoking. I used to tell my kids whenever I caught them doing the indelicate...picking their nose! "Pick your friends, but NOT your nose!!" I loved teaching, and when you love what you are doing, you're usually good at it. I feel sorry that some folks do not have daily jobs that they "love", (what a drag!) and in this economy I suspect that covers MANY people, but according to this guy, you can still "love what you do". God, give us the power!////FROM JACK: Speaking of picking...How do YOU go about helping someone to pick a job that they will like (love)? That's a rhetorical question.

FROM LK IN OHIO: Any relation to Ryan Mallett?////FROM JACK: No, I think that he's from the Croquet family.













1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Working in the Farm today, planting. The two apple trees there are looking good--2 years old now. I remember Pastor Rol telling us in Bible study once that, when he got a little discouraged with us church people, he would go out and plant a flower that would come up and bloom. Strange, but it seems as much as we get culturally more and more technological, still all those old agricultural references in the Bible resonate in our collective memories. I'm expecting to be praying while working today with my hands in the soil.
S.H. in MI