Monday, May 16, 2011

Winning Words 5/16/11
“The kind of person I want to be is a kind person.” (Frank Tyger) A new word to add to your vocabulary today is, homonym, an example of which is contained in today’s WWs. This world is craving for more kindness, even the random kind. Tyger is an editorial cartoonist known for celebrating the positive side of life. I like other Tyger quotes like this one: “There’s a lot of try in triumph.” ;-) Jack

FROM CH ON CAPE COD: I’m going to share these with Joanna (our older daughter – in 5th grade) She is very kind. FROM JACK: Isn't it nice to be in the presence of kind people...especially when they are your children?

FROM TAMPA SHIRL: Who is Tyger and how long has he been around and where does he live? FROM JACK: I searched in Dog Pile and read his biography. Fascina
ting. If you don't want to look through the dog pile stuff, you probably can find similar stuff in Google. MORE FROM SHIRL: How interesting the life of Frank Tyger is. My first love was newspapers, too, and I hand printed one for the neighborhood when I was in the fifth grade and had the newspaper -a weekly-until sometime in the ninth grade. Mr Nutting, who was our neighbor, gave a typewriter to use when I was in the sixth grade, and I would go to each house once a week and get the news of the families and then type it up with carbon paper copies. I remember Judge Larson, who said he was an atheist, always wanting me to stay and talk with him, and I was pretty young to understand at that time. By the way, if you hear that no one is reading newspapers these days. I tried to buy both a Washington Post and a Washington Times the other day, and they were both sold out. We had to go to another store to find the Post but never could find a Times. I like to read two different opinions and sides and then make up my own mind about how our country should be run.

FROM JC IN HONG KONG: Seriously, though, how frank can Frank be; he can't even spell his last name correctly. FROM JACK: He's from New Jersey. If he were from Detroit he'd probably get the spelling correct.
MORE FROM HONG KONG:
I knew a frank man from Tygeria,
Who set out one day for Nigeria
An unruly cargo of steer
Made them forget they should steer
They soon found themselves in Phyrigia.

FROM MOLINER CF: There's a lot of oomph in it too. FROM JACK: Tri-oomph! I like it.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: I'm reminded of a Jewel song..."Only kindness matters." She has a strong faith and I believe she has hit the nail on the head...only kindness matters. How can one go wrong if they are kind! Great Monday morning words!! And I love the try in triumph thought! FROM JACK: I like the Glen Campbell song:

If you see your brother standing by the road
With a heavy load from the seeds he's sowed
And if you see your sister falling by the way
Just stop and stay you're going the wrong way

You got to try a little kindness
Yes show a little kindness
Just shine your light for everyone to see
And if you try a little kindness
Then you'll overlook the blindness
Of narrow-minded people on the narrow-minded streets

Don't walk around the down and out
Lend a helping hand instead of doubt
And the kindness that you show every day
Will help someone along their way

You got to try a little kindness
Yes show a little kindness
Just shine your light for everyone to see
And if you try a little kindness
Then you'll overlook the blindness
Of narrow-minded people on the narrow-minded streets

You got to try a little kindness
Yes show a little kindness
Just shine your light for everyone to see
And if you try a little kindness
Then you'll overlook the blindness
Of narrow-minded people on the narrow-minded streets

FROM FM IN WISCONSIN: What a great word – not a winning word for a day, but for a life!

FROM JS IN MICHIGAN: Kindness as in Micah 6? FROM JACK: Did you mean Micah 6:8?


No comments: