Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Winning Words - 4/5/11
“What if God’s skin isn’t either white or black? What if her skin is blue? (Wally Armbruster) I found this in an un-calendar. You can open it to any page, and it’s the right one. It’s interesting that so many people seem to “know” all the answers to that which is beyond their ken. Who is it that has helped you to “unscrew the inscrutable” as one of my seminary professors used to say? ;-) Jack

FROM PRJS IN MICHIGAN: That's about thirty years out of date. FROM JACK: I know that it might seem like a dated issue, but there are some problems that don't seem to go away. We are always in need of teaching and re-teaching about about racism. Ethnophobia is becoming an ever increasing issue. Even in biblical days, there was the need to state and re-state the concept of God. The tag question was: "Who has helped you to come to some sort of understanding about God?"

FROM ALI IN MICHIGAN: Love the quote...lol FROM JACK: We know some things about God, but there is so much yet to be learned. Thanks for sharing your point of view during our conversations.

FROM PEPPERMINT MARY: how about that! reference of female creator. interesting! as far as the influences along the way. too many to name, all of equal importance. thanks and love to all of you. FROM JACK: I knew that you'd probably pick up on that one. You're right about the influences on your life. Most of us can name several, including some that we're probably not aware of.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Then where are the blue people? FROM JACK: I see a lot of sadness out there in the world. MORE FROM OUTHOUSE: That certainly true. I don't believe anyone can know the answers except
God. And I believe He is bigger and better than all the questions we can ask. Personally, I believe He is full of color and brighter than anything we can imagine. I have a lot of questions...like why does it snow in April and why does it matter what color our skin is! Also, I like green and I believe He does too...that's why there are so many trees. We need to simplify our beliefs and believe as a little child does....we need to grow in our understanding but believe like a child.

FROM MOLINER CF: Who cares what God looks like as long as we know He/She is there? FROM JACK: Christians believe that Jesus came into the world to "reveal" God.

FROM BBC IN ILLINOIS: I love that phrase, unscrew the unscrutible…thanks for the thought and the smile. FROM JACK: The same professor said: "You can't find God at the end of a logical syllogism." Some people are more "memorable" than others.

FROM INDY GENIE: Kids....all ages.......help me to see the world "out of my box". They continually teach me and remind me of how much I don't know...and that' a good thing. FROM JACK: Isn't that interesting? Kids can be teachers.

FROM PRPH IN MINNESOTA: did you see the movie, Avatar? half the actors had blue skin. it was a little wierd at first but then you got used to it. hope you are having a good Lenten journey, 2011. FROM JACK: I saw the pictures, but not the picture show. Isn't it interesting how we get so caught up in the way people look. Helen Keller didn't have that problem.

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: Some most important people who taught me to unscrew the unscrutable were the Stephens Ministries leaders and supervision group I used to belong to. From there I learned especially that I am a caregiver and that God is the curegiver. The unscrutable became much more bearable because of that essential teaching and hope. Sure took a load off my shoulders and back!!!!!!!!! All kinds of things are broken down when I became much more aware and observant that God is the curegiver, including the ills of racism and patriarchy. FROM JACK: There comes a time when we learn that it all doesn't depend on "me." We find out that things can be accomplished better with teamwork and with dependence upon God.

FROM CJL IN OHIO: ..."beyond their ken"? that's inscrutiable. FROM JACK: I don't recall using that word in a conversation, but, in this instance, it seemed to be appropriate.

FROM BLAZING OAKS: I love that "unscrew the unscrutable" phrase, and had quoted it several times since you mentioned it awhile back. And I love today's quote, because that is exactly right...what do we know??! He, She, red, white or blue? But we know our God is an awesome God! I enjoyed THE SHACK for that reason, because when he needed a mother, God was the warm Mammy, when he needed a counselor, he was another character, a teacher, another person...Really the All-in-All presence of God Almighty! FROM JACK: I try not to repeat myself, unless "the shoe fits." God is beyond our understanding, so he makes himself known by becoming like us...without the imperfections.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Some most important people who taught me to unscrew the unscrutable were the Stephens Ministries leaders and supervision group I used to belong to. From there I learned especially that I am a caregiver and that God is the curegiver. The unscrutable became much more bearable because of that essential teaching and hope. Sure took a load off my shoulders and back!!!!!!!!! All kinds of things are broken down when I became much more aware and observant that God is the curegiver, including the ills of racism and patriarchy.
S.H. in MI