Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Winning Words 4/27/11
“A morning-glory at my window satisfies me more than the metaphysics of books.” (Walt Whitman) WW also wrote: “I hear and behold God in every object, yet understand God not in the least.” I did not expect to learn that Whitman spent most of the Civil War years working among the wounded and the dying in hospitals. I didn’t think poets did that. What do I know? ;-) Jack

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Yes he did a lot of work with the soldiers. He lived what he believed and found beauty whereever he went. Commendable guy! FROM JACK: Transcendentalist, realist, and humanist are all words used to describe WW, but words do not really describe a person. MORE FROM OJ: Words don't do justice to some people but it's the "human" way to place labels on each other. Thankfully, our only label that really counts is "God's child". I guess "Saved" would be another one. I'm sure you can come up with quite a few! FROM JACK: As far as labels go, I like what Jesus said to his disciples before he left them. "I have
called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you." (John 15:15)

FROM MOLINER CF: Maybe Whitman was a Humanist first and a Poet second. FROM JACK: It would be nice if we all cared about one another as he did. When Jesus was asked to name the most important of the commandments, he replied, "You shall love the Lord, your God with all your heart, soul, strength and mind, and you shall love your neighbor as you love yourself." I would see Whitman as doing that.

FROM BLAZING OAKS: A few years ago, I toured the Walt Whitman library. Like so many poets and writers he was not really appreciated until after his death, but he did try to make his life count in the world. He didn't seem to have the happiest personal life, but again, I imagine that fuels the creative juices! When one looks about at the fresh beauty of this time of year, how hard NOT to believe in God! What a blessing to have a sustaining faith, and to be able to live one's life for something that will outlast it! FROM JACK: From what I've read, you're right in saying that Whitman's life was not a happy one. I wonder if a large degree of pathos is what makes various "artists" great. Van Gogh, Chaplin, Emily Dickenson, as examples.

FROM JE IN MICHIGAN: Walt Whitman is right on! I cannot wait to plant my morning glories…..I love them!
I buy blue, white, fuchsia and pink seeds and get them in early and enjoy them until autumn! FROM JACK: I like the way that they open in the morning and close in the evening. Nature is so interesting.

FROM CJL IN OHIO: That's why we study & learn... FROM JACK: I'm learning every day, but not necessarily studying.


No comments: