Monday, April 18, 2011

Winning Words 4/18/11
“Peace starts with a smile.” (God’s Post-It note – sent by RC) I read this week that people will be willing, 86% of the time, to strike up a conversation with someone who is smiling. Successful salespeople are aware of this. Peace--in the world, at work and in the home--can start with a smile. Smile at someone today and see what happens. Of course, 14% of the time, it can turn out negatively. ;-) Jack

FROM PEPPERMINT MARY: it's always worth the try!
FROM JACK: I remember this poem, but not the author.
When the weather suits you not,
Try Smiling
When the coffee isnt hot
Try smiling
When your neighboors dont do right,
Or Your Relatives All Fight,
Sure 'This Hard, But Then You Might
Try Smiling
Doesn't Change The Things, Of Course
Just Smiling
But It Cannot Make Them Worse
Just Smiling
And It Seems To Help Your Case,
Brightens Up A Gloomy Place,
Then, It Sort O' Rests Your Face
Just Smiling

FROM EMT SINGS IN MICHIGAN: Last week I waited at the curb as the trash men were coming. The driver got out scowling and said "What can I do for you?" I said I had just wanted to tell them that it was a beautiful day and to have "a good one". Today they came while I was still trying to get a bag secured. He got out, smiled, said "let me help" and "Have a nice day". FROM JACK: You see...It works! At least, it does 86% of the time.

FROM MOLINER CF: As my Daddy used to say, "A smile is a frown turned upside down." It's easier to smile...it takes fewer muscles than a frown. FROM JACK: An article in the NY Times says that it takes 37 muscles to frown and 22 to smile. "Snopes" says that the number is undetermined, but that whatever it is, it takes fewer to smile.

FROM ME IN NEWPORT BEACH: Years ago my Father told me to “follow a smile” when walking into a crowded room. I follow that advice, or at least think of it every single time I walk into a crowded room and have the added benefit of thinking of my Father every time. I have passed that advice along to my children and to young lawyers in our firm attending a bar meeting or event for the first time. FROM JACK: I can see it now.....that wide smile that was a characteristic of your dad. Thanks for bringing back that memory of him.

FROM AM IN MICHIGAN: There is a saying that the most important thing one wears is their expression. I believe there is truth in that. I mention this to the grandchildren when they shop. FROM JACK: A "pasted-on" smile doesn't work for me. It has to come from within....a smile like yours.

FROM BLAZING OAKS: But we won't talk about the negative! (smile) When I was in Japan for a month in 1995, I visited the Peace Memorial Museum of Hiroshima, which of course you can hardly do without shedding tears...a guide smilingly patted my back, and said, "Don't cry, the outcome of this is good.." she then explained that Hiroshima is now called "The City Of Peace", and sent envoys of peace out to the world wherever there is conflict, to try to prevent war. In the testimony of the survivors, which is gruesome in the extreme, is their plea to never use atomic bombs again, and to always work for peace at all costs. We maintain a hospital there to this day, which cares for successive victims of radiation, and birth defects. If only a tour of this Peace Museum would be mandatory for every living being, I do believe that wars would be eradicated! It
is an eloquent witness for PEACE! So we smile on, and do our bit to promote peace and understanding!! I've housed students and faculty from Ashikaga, Japan, and Sarah has good friends there. FROM JACK: A headline in the newspaper captured my attention this morning: "Clinton visits Japan to show support for our ally." Ally! Some of us can remember the "Japs" when headlines referred to them as the enemy. I smile at how life has a way of bringing about change.

MORE FROM OAKS: Your poem "Try Smiling" sounds like Edgar Guest. He was one of Bill's favorites,
with his homey poems. FROM JACK: I thought the same thing when it didn't list an author. In searching I came across this one: Take Home A Smile by Edgar Guest

Take home a smile; forget the petty cares,
The dull, grim grind of all the day's affairs;
The day is done, come be yourself awhile:
To-night, to those who wait, take home a smile.

Take home a smile; don't scatter grief and gloom
Where laughter and light hearts should always bloom;
What though you've traveled many a dusty mile,
Footsore and weary, still take home a smile.

Take home a smile -- it is not much to do,
But much it means to them who wait for you;
You can be brave for such a little while;
The day of doubt is done -- take home a smile.

FROM CJL IN OHIO: The odds are pretty good. I'll always take them. FROM JACK: Now, if the Lottery had those odds, a lot of people would be rich.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Smiles can change a person's outlook each day! And giving smiles away is
priceless! And it's free!!! Go Wings FROM JACK: When the Red Wings (and Tigers) lose, my smile turns upside down 14% of the time.

FRFOM FM IN WISCONSIN: I’m smiling . . . heeding your WW . . . and hope you can sense my smile, thankful as I am for getting your WW again! FROM JACK: The Swedes have a saying (translated): "To be away is good, but to be home is best." The modern translation: "To be in Alabama is good, but to be in Wisconsin is best."

FROM LISALOVESFROGS: No, not negatively, silly, they just might not talk back with you, that's all!! You know me, I smile a lot, and I have rarely received negativity back!! FROM JACK: You're right about that. You are known for your smile...and for your giggle...and for your serious side, too.

No comments: