Thursday, March 31, 2011

Winning Words 3/31/11
“Baseball? It’s just a game, a bat and a ball…and sometimes even a religion.” (Ernie Harwell) Ernie, the long-time Tigers’ announcer, died last year. He’d always begin the season by quoting from Song of Solomon, 2:12. He was a humble man, and I still remember the time he spoke from our church pulpit. “Sports” has truly become a religion for many people, but for Ernie, baseball was just a game. ;-) Jack

FROM PL IN MICHIGAN: Opening Day and Words of Wisdom from Jack Freed that includes Ernie Harwell .....There is hope for this world! FROM JACK: "For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; The flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land."

FROM LS IN MICHIGAN: Good morning ! In the distance I hear birds voices .. Excited about the day! As I open my chest and breath I give thanks for the blessing of another day. It was nice to get ur words. Have an easy day. FROM JACK: I have a friend who says that he begins each day by getting up and singing: "This is the day that the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it." With or without the singing, it's a good thought. Perhaps the birds can provide the singing.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL: It is just a game but spring training is fun. The Rays won yesterday. FROM JACK: In spring training the games can be fun, because they don't count...except for those players who are trying to make the team.

FROM TS IN MICHIGAN: From Field of Dreams: Ray, people will come, Ray. They'll come to Iowa for reasons they can't even fathom. They'll turn up your driveway, not knowing for sure why they're doing it. They'll arrive at your door as innocent as children, longing for the past. "Of co...urse, we won't mind if you have a look around," you'll say. "It's only twenty dollars per person." They'll pass over the money without
even thinking about it; for it is money they have and peace they lack. And they'll walk out to the bleachers, and sit in shirt-sleeves on a perfect afternoon. They'll find they have reserved seats somewhere along one of the baselines, where they sat when they were children and cheered their heroes. And they'll watch the game, and it'll be as if they'd dipped themselves in magic waters. The memories will be so thick, they'll have to brush them away from their faces. People will come, Ray. The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It's been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt, and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game, is a part of our past, Ray. It reminds us of all that once was good, and it could be again. Ohhhhhhhh, people will come, Ray. People will most definitely come. FROM JACK: Thanks for reminding me of this great monologue from "Field of Dreams," one of my all-time favorite movies. One of my great memories is that of playing catch with my son on that "field" in Dyersville, Iowa.

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: Before reading all the comments I lazily looked up Song of Solomon 2:12 on the internet here and saw all the translations that list "turtle dove" and the ones that list "turtle". Personally I like imagining the "turtle". If baseball is a religion, in our house it is a religion where a person gets to shout out all his discontents about what the players, coaches, umpires are doing. Seems to be quite a bit of enjoyment there. I personally am more of the turtle. It's a man/woman thing I suppose. Anyway enjoyed your WW words again today and all of the comments. FROM JACK: I used to be more passionate, but now I just walk out of the room. It's only a game...a bat and a ball. It's not a religion for me.

FROM BLAZING OAKS: Of course coming from a home where the Father is in three Athletic Halls of Fame, and having three sons who have followed in Dad's footsteps, (Oldest Son John will be inducted into his second Hall of Fame on April 12th, youngest son is dedicated minister) Sports could have become a religion with our household, BUT having a father who became a pastor and religious leader, put these things in perspective, as well, and in meeting Life's challenges, Faith in God overrules all the lessons taught in Sports. Both of course have lots of offer us...Wouldn't want to be without either one in my life. Love the quote and perspective it offers today. FROM JACK: I think that when a family is in the "business" of sports and of religion, they tend to look at both with eyes that are different than those of the spectators.

FROM EMT SINGS IN MICHIGAN: I'm thinking of my Mother today and her love of the Twins! FROM JACK: I think of the line from Field of Dreams...."Is this heaven?" "No, it's Iowa." I would not be surprised if there's baseball in heaven. I don't know about hot dogs, peanuts and Cracker Jack.

FROM mOLINER CF: As a baseball fan, I'm sure you know why left handed pitchers are called "South Paws." FROM JACK: I do.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: They played one of his opening readings today while I was listening on the radio. My grandpa loved Ernie as did we all. He truly lived his faith. He did keep things in perspective and especially during the baseball games. He is missed. FROM JACK: Last year the Tigers wore an EH on their uniforms. Today, I noticed that they are wearing "Sparky 11."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Before reading all the comments I lazily looked up Song of Solomon 2:12 on the internet here and saw all the translations that list "turtle dove" and the ones that list "turtle". Personally I like imagining the "turtle". If baseball is a religion, in our house it is a religion where a person gets to shout out all his discontents about what the players, coaches, umpires are doing. Seems to be quite a bit of enjoyment there. I personally am more of the turtle. It's a man/woman thing I suppose. Anyway enjoyed your WW words again today and all of the comments.
S.H. in MI