Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Winning Words 3/29/11
“Let’s face the music and dance.” (Irving Berlin) I.B.’s earliest childhood memory was that of seeing his family’s house burn to the ground. There was much hardship in his young life. He knew what it was to “face the music.” A miracle happened when he was able to turn the “ugly” into something “beautiful.” Can you think of some of his songs that are examples of this? Some are in my mind right now. ;-) Jack

FROM PASTY PAT: Love Irving Berlin's music --- everyone has their 'story' don't they? I'm off to the West Bank tomorrow to 'village-sit' for a week in my beloved Yanoun while the current team of EA's is out for additional orientation. I'm anxious to see the people again but know that the situation won't be any easier. FROM JACK: Irving has his story, and you have yours, and I have mine. It's a good day when we can learn from one another.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: He wrote a lot of favorites but "God Bless America" is probably my favorite of all he wrote. FROM JACK: Someone told me today that he wrote over 800 songs. It would be hard for me to pick a favorite. It would depend on the time and the circumstance. MORE FROM OUTHOUSE: I suppose that's true, but I love "God Bless America". There are a lot of old favorites Gary and I, and his mom and aunt, loved to harmonize to some of them in the car on trips.

FROM PRJM IN MICHIGAN: "I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandy" from a Jew who was not considered "entirely
American" in his youth. FROM JACK: As a Jew, he wrote two songs that popular at Christmas and Easter... White Christmas and Easter Parade.

FROM MOLINER CF: "Sunny Side of the Street" FROM JACK: Irv probably wishes that he had written it.


FROM BLAZING OAKS: Irving Berlin?! What a talent! Jerome Kern :"Irving Berlin has no place in American music. He IS American Music!" and George Gershwin wrote," I want to say at once that I frankly believe that Irving Berlin is the greatest songwriter that has ever lived...His songs are exquisite cameos of perfection... Berlin is America's Schubert." While in California, we enjoyed Irving Berlin's play "I Love A Piano", done by a professional troupe who were excellent. Alexander's Ragtime Band is so catchy rhythmic, A Pretty Girl is Like
a Melody,Blue Skies, How Deep is The Ocean?, Steppin' Out, with My Baby, Count Your Blessings Instead of Sheep, his only Academy award song White Christmas (tho he was nominated for 8 others...) There's No Business Like Show Business, The Girl That I Marry, and on and on and on. He put a lot of music into our sometimes mundane lives, and lived to a ripe old age, at that! Let's face the Music, indeed! Love it! FROM JACK: "Blue Skies" is one of my favorites when it comes to giving an optimistic message.

No comments: