Thursday, March 24, 2011

Winning Words 3/24/11
“2 get and 2 give creates 2 many problems. But first, double it….4 give and 4 get solves all the
problems.” (sent by Norm) Someone was talking to me recently about taking a test which included a math segment. “…and they didn’t let us use calculators. We had to do it all in our head.” In my day we didn’t use calculators, either… just fingers and, sometimes, toes and, of course, our head. ;-) Jack

FROM HAPPY TRAILS IN NOVA SCOTIA: Jack, as you may be aware, there are three kinds of people: those can count, and those who can’t. FROM JACK: Very good!!! Your response reminds me of the lyrics in the Billie Holiday song ...You're just a no account You never will amount to nothin' at all

FROM RS IN MICHIGAN: I like that one, tho fogetting and forgiving both are difficult for me sometimes. I pray about it a lot. FROM JACK: One of the hardest things in life to do--is to move on. Sometimes forgetting is harder than forgiving. New directions...new interests...new resolve might help.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Very good!!! Not sure how many problems giving creates, but I do like to 4 give and 4 get. FROM JACK: I wondered about that, too. But, one of the purposes of WWs is to make us wonder. Giving (and reluctance to giving) can present challenges, I guess.

FROM PASTY PAT: I remember my youngest son talking about math with all of his 8 or 9 year old wisdom and telling me that "I always have my head with me but I don't always have my calculator". FROM JACK: Did you know that you probably have a calculator as an app on your cell phone? And since cell phones seem attached to the heads of kidsthese days, they do have a calculator with them at all times.

FROM MOLINE CF: When you were using your fingers and toes, you were using the original digital calculator.
FROM JACK: Oh, so that's why they're called, "digets." God was the original "techie."

FROM TAMPA SHIRL: That is true of the income tax forms, too. Figuring it all on the computer and answering the questions is fast, but I prefer to see it on the printed forms and doing the math myself. It does get a little complicated when the law is changed so often that it does keep one's brain active. FROM JACK: The computer makes Income Tax time so much easier. I can't remember when I actually filled out a form by hand. I give my preparer the numbers. He fills in the blanks. I press, PRINT, write the check, and "VOILA," it's done.

FROM BBC IN ILLINOIS: Thanks for the kind words; I needed them this morning. FROM JACK: We all can use kind words....even when we don't think we need them. It's nice when we know that somebody cares.

FROM BLAZING OAKS: A neat turn of phrase...good grief, I really got behind on WW during my brother and wife's visit, (They are MOLINER'S!) but did get in 18 holes of golf during our warm day. 2 good 2 B forgotten! Ha! Like one of your WW correspondents pointed out it is easier 2 forgive than 2 forget, but to have good
mental health, it is a 4gone conclusion that you must let bygones be bygones. Clever math lesson today. Didn't need a computer to add up my golf score: that is the U4ia! :-) FROM JACK: I can see it now. You and Rodney Dangerfield playing a round of golf together in Caddyshack...him with his outlandish set of clubs, and you with an adding maching attached to the cart (for adding up the score).

FRON NK IN THE U.P.: SUPER !!! I REMEMBER THOSE DAYS....AND I FIND MYSELF DOUBLE CHECKING AT
THE GAS STATION. FROM JACK: I notice that some of the younger store clerks become confused when, for eaxample, a bill is $11.52, and you hand them a twenty two dollars and 2 cents. Whoa!!! What's going on here?

No comments: