Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Winning Words 3/16/11
“It is as hard to see oneself as to look backward without turning around.” (Thoreau) Most of us picture ourselves, based on what we see in the mirror. In clothing stores they often have mirrors that allow us to see parts usually hidden from our eyes. Maybe we like what we see; maybe we don’t, but it’s us. Do you have anyone who helps you “see” things about yourself that you might not be aware of? ;-) Jack

FROM PRJS IN MICHIGAN: For me that is the importance of my morning devotions....looking at the Lord helps one see one's own self in a different light....as both saint and sinner FROM JACK: You and Luther are alike with respect to placing value on a devotional life. I wonder if that emphasis was a carryover from when he was a monk. Can you remember when it began for you? MORE FROM JS: It really became important for me in the late 70s when I was the pastor of a growing church, the primary parent for two little ones (my wife worked full time) and taking my D.Min degree. I thought I was going to go nuts and then I added some more minutes to my schedule every morning for devotions in the chapel....those minutes made the rest of the day much easier.....I began to see through the rush in which I lived and to see sunlight and air. It was a good feeling. I miss going to the chapel every morning now....use my office instead.

FROM PASTY PAT: Actually, a few people. But I think my youngest son is the most adept. In a very straightforward but gentle manner he 'keeps me honest'. --- What a gift! FROM JACK: Who would think that a little baby could grow up to help you see yourself? In fact, that's the miracle of the baby, Jesus, who grew up to help us see ourselves in relation to God. RESPONSE FROM PAT: Oh wow! Talk about having something to 'chew on' all day!

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Once in awhile the grandkids will point out a flaw and my friends will point out errors, but my dear husband thinks I am always perfect. We both know I'm not; far from it. As for looking in the mirror at my backside, well, that would frighten me to never leaving the house again! LOL Perhaps when I look at my past, I see in places where I really was a different person than I am now. Growing older, growing in faith, growing up so to speak, has made me who I am today. God's Grace gets me through, up and over! PS The red-winged blackbirds are back...came in yesterday. Spring is here!! FROM JACK: It's a real challenge for all of us to accept constructive criticism. It's a challenge, too, to know how to give it. I always will remember a high school teacher who said to me, "You can do better."

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: Bible studies help me. Something about being prayerfully gathered around reading scripture together and sharing contemporary experiences, a whole wealth of insights--both divisive and uniting pour into me. But I must say, the Bible study--for me--usually goes on a bit when I get home again because of the need to pray some more for God to help me understand the Bible study experience, on top of the sharing of our lives and faith that we just did. It becomes a realistic community. FROM JACK: It's been my experience that the people in Bible study groups are looking for more than an understanding of the Bible. They'd like people to understand them and care about them.

FROM JC IN HONG KONG: Interestingly enough, we often "see" better when we keep our mouths shut and our ears wide open.

FROM MOLINER CF: Anybody wiith kids has that answer FROM JACK: Especially, a precocious one.

FROM BLAZING OAKS: Henry David Thoreau has a point!! Our kids are pretty observant about us that way, and will occasionally set us straight! HA! Having been a pastor's wife, and the "pampered darling" of the congregation, helps the self-esteem, but does not inspire severe introspection...however through the years we do "get a handle" on our true selves, and perhaps it is not as impossible as Thoreau thought. Being a good listener is key! Good reminder today to humbly pray that our more obnoxious traits ARE humbled: Lord knows we need a few friends, at the end!! :-) FROM JACK: Robert Burns thought that it would be a great gift to see ourselves as others see us. I'm not so sure.

FROM RADIO IKE: The great philosopher YOGI BERRA has been quoted as saying: "IF YOU LOOK AT SOMETHING LONG ENOUGH-YOU ACTUALLY BEGIN TO SEE SOMETHING" maybe we just don't spend enough time really looking at ourselves... FROM JACK: People tend to make fun of Yogisms, but there's a lot of sense in his nonsense.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bible studies help me. Something about being prayerfully gathered around reading scripture together and sharing contemporary experiences, a whole wealth of insights--both divisive and uniting pour into me. But I must say, the Bible study--for me--usually goes on a bit when I get home again because of the need to pray some more for God to help me understand the Bible study experience, on top of the sharing of our lives and faith that we just did. It becomes a realistic community.
S.H. in MI