Thursday, December 23, 2010

Winning Words 12/23/10
“Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter least.” (Stephen Covey) I remember a time when many “with it” people carried around Franklin Planners instead of today’s ubiquitous Blackberrys. Stephen Covey promoted the planner as a way to manage time. He is also noted for his book listing the habits of effective people. Today’s WWs lists an important one. ;-) Jack.

FROM LP IN MICHIGAN: I went to a women's retreat at work about work-life balance recently. One saying that stuck in my head was to schedule our priorities rather than to prioritize our schedules. FROM JACK: In 1962 The Flying Wallendas, a highwire act, were performing in Detroit without a net. Two of them died, and one was critically injured, because the lead person lost his balance. Balance is important in whatever it is that you are doing with your life. MORE FROM LP: My take? There are things that I feel are important but I never seem to have time to do them... like visit with family and friends, have devoted time with my husband and our daughter. . . Sometimes these things/priorities need to get scheduled or they will get
put off indefinitely for more immediate but perhaps less important tasks.

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: This is a very thought-provoking WW. Running though my mind to see where it applies and I think one thing may be pride, things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter least, among the things is pride. Potholes we fall into that keep the wheels of the carriage from turning and going forward. Pride and fear have at times kept me from attending to things which matter most.
FROM JACK: There's an old saying: "Pride goeth before a fall." Loss of balance goeth before a fall, too. Maybe there's a connection.

FROM MF IN MICHIGAN: Mercy Jack, I wanted to respond yesterday; I want you to know that you can always call me. I may not answer at 4:30 am, but you should leave a message, usually up by 5:30 FROM JACK: What if the EMS answered like that? However, knowing you, you'd answer for a friend, no matter what the time.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: It's so easy to get caught up in the "little things" in life only to leave the most important things hanging. To me, spending quality time with those we love and those who need love is more important. Today there will be a lot of love and cookies flowing around our house as our niece, her husband, 5 month old and his parents along with our 10 will be making cookies. How fun! Flour and "sprinkles" will abound! And lots of laughter and love! FROM JACK: I don't think that there's a saying..."Too many cooks spoil the cookies." It only makes the cookies taste better.

FROM MOLINER CF: Planners are the bane of spontaneity. FROM JACK: The spontaneity people make planners go "bonkers."

FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE: I've gone back to paper after my Palm crashed w/o any survivors to reboot.
FROM JACK: I feel out of it when I'm with a group of people, and they all pull out their Blackberrys to schedule meetings....while I page through my little red datebook. I wonder if there will be Blackberrys in heaven.

FROM DS IN MICHIGAN AND GOING TO WISCONSIN FOR NEW YEAR'S EVE: Thanks for this. I sent it to my husband who works too much. He is not sure how to change. Of course, then there’s me too with similar issues. FROM JACK: "Sent it to him," which illustrates the point. Even in my "old age," I have a date book to keep my meetings and appointments straight.

FROM GUSTIE MARLYS: Well, I carry a pocket calendar. Without it I would be lost! FROM JACK: Is the one for 2011 poised and ready?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a very thought-provoking WW. Running though my mind to see where it applies and I think one thing may be pride, things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter least, among the things is pride. Potholes we fall into that keep the wheels of the carriage from turning and going forward. Pride and fear have at times kept me from attending to things which matter most. Thanks for bringing us these WW as we continue to be in Advent, living today and remembering the people who lived in our Lord's human life span over 2,000 years ago.
S.H. in MI