Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Winning Words 9/8/10
“The whole purpose of education is to turn mirrors into windows.” (Sydney J. Harris) I don’t know if that’s the “whole” purpose, but it’s a good goal for our teachers today. I’m particularly thankful for those teachers who opened windows for me at every level of education. I think of the professor who taught a class called, “American Ideals.” A window was opened which gave me a whole new outlook. ;-) Jack

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: This is an absolutely fascinating quote. It's the use of "mirrors". Does that signify that everything we don't understand, in our short-sightness we see as an extension of us? When we lived in California, I remember reading editorials in the San Francisco Examiner by a Sydney Harris. Wonder if this one is one and the same. FROM JACK: Mirror-people, in my opinion, simply reflect what others have taught them. Window-people use what they have been taught to develop their own thoughts. As a pastor, I tried to open windows for people. We used to have a foreign-born neighbor who would open all the windows in her house once a week (no matter the season). Yes, SJH was a popular columnist in many newspapers. Periodically he would write a column, "Things I learned while looking up other things." There are books of his that you would find interesting. You can usually get them in the library.

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: The looking glass to window thing educational for Alice. FROM JACK: Thanks for the recall of "Through the Looking Glass," by Lewis Carroll. The looking glass (mirror) shows things in a reverse way. In the book, there are occasions when time runs backward. How would you like it if you could make time move backward? Are there changes that you would make, or would you just sit there and look? MORE FROM JON: I am sure in my "humanness" I would often want to change things. But pondering how you would change things is a time waster I already do enough of. And what of all the unintended consequences? Perhaps we should leave it to God. FROM JACK: I'm reminded of the song by The Beatles...
When I find myself in times of trouble, mother Mary comes to me, speaking words of wisdom, let it be.
And in my hour of darkness she is standing right in front of me, speaking words of wisdom, let it be.
Let it be, let it be, let it be, let it be. Whisper words of wisdom, let it be.

FROM RI IN BOSTON: Teachers (starting with my father, who was a teacher) opened windows of learning for me too. And there are teachers these days committed to expanding their students' minds. Unfortunately they have to spend too much time "baby sitting" and counseling those who are distracted by other things. So much opportunity is being wasted as students drop out of school, giving up on one of our "American ideals". While the windows are opened to help them, too many young people are heading for the doors. FROM JACK: ....the windows are open, but too many students are heading out the doors. Sad, but true. Maybe it's always been that way. Being a teacher can be frustrating because of wasted opportunities. Having said this, remember that the farmer sows the seed, knowing that some will fall on the rocky ground where it will waste away; but that which falls on the good soil will take root and bear much fruit. MORE FROM RI: Your words are relevant and convincing. When I was teaching at U of M, I witnessed just what you're saying. Each year as the term progressed I could see a few students giving attention and "catching on" and ending the year quite accomplished, while more students just did what was necessary to complete the projects and went away with a fraction of what could have been achieved, and there were a few who simply dropped the course.

FROM SG IN TAMPA: And that is what is so great about being both a student and a teacher. I learned a long time ago that you learn a lot more as a teacher than as a student, and that you are never too old to keep on learning about this marvelous and ever-changing world in some respects in which we live. FROM JACK: We never graduate, do we? That's so in the "religion business," too...or at least it ought to be.

FROM BBC IN ILLINOIS: What does this mean to you. I liked it on it's face but got to wondering… is it that you're not reflecting only on and with yourself but outward? FROM JACK: It is what it is! You can make it say what you want it to say. In my case, I chose it because, in my mind it describes two different teaching techniques...one where the teacher expects the student to reflect back what the teacher has said...the other where the teacher challenges the student to look beyond what the teacher has said. I think that education ought to be one of challenge. A case can be made for the reflection response to education, where the student goes out an reflects to others what has been learned. What I like to do with Winning Words is to open windows, to cause the readers to wonder and move beyond the obvious words...like you have done.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: I always read his articles as I enjoyed his insight. I also don't think education is solely to open windows, but a large part. Education seems be so vastly different from my days....which is why Kimberly is home-schooling both boys. This is their second year and she work through a Christian curriculum. Noah is in 1st grade and Joshua in 5th. They love it and have bloomed so much with confidence and school skills. She is a great teacher and is hooked up with a wonderful guidance system. I will say, it was Josh's wonderful teachers at his elementary school who helped him and Kimberly so much. FROM JACK: Education takes many forms. What works for one doesn't necessarily work for all. Open windows are good. One minds are even better.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is an absolutely fascinating quote. It's the use of "mirrors". Does that signify that everything we don't understand, in our short-sightness we see as an extension of us? When we lived in California, I remember reading editorials in the San Francisco Examiner by a Sydney Harris. Wonder if this one is one and the same.
S.H. in MI