Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Winning Words 9/7/10
“God’s Little Workshop” (George Washington Carver) These words were on a sign which hung over the door to GWC’s lab. In that room he discovered over 100 uses for the peanut…gasoline, cosmetics, plastics, paints, nitroglycerin—and peanut butter. On Labor Day we observed the fact that we all find ourselves in God’s Little Workshop, doing whatever it is that we’ve been placed on earth to do. ;-) Jack

FROM LG IN MICHIGAN: Cool facts, Jack! Have a great day! FROM JACK: GWC is one of my favorite personalities in American history and from God's Workshop.

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: Happy to see you're doing what you've been placed on earth to do again today. 100 uses for the peanut--who would have ever thunk!!! I used to wear cosmetics--wonder if I've ever put a peanut on my face? Today's WW once again are a delight. Thanks!!! FROM JACK: In his day, he probably worked for "peanuts," too.

FROM ML IN ILLINOIS: today is our first day back to pre-school. over each classroom door our signs read, "another day in paradise". i think i've been put in the right spot. FROM JACK: "Paradise" is an interesting word. Even though I think I know what it means, I think that I'll Google it today. We used to have a movie theater in my hometown, called the Paradise. MORE FROM JACK: More on the meaning of Paradise....It's from the Persian language and means, the perfect place. It's like the Garden of Eden, like heaven. It's the counter-image of this world's miseries. Paradise is where things are positive, harmonious and timeless;
where these is peace, prosperity and happiness.

FROM PRJS IN MICHIGAN: Did you know that kids can't take a peanut butter sandwich to some schools any more because so many kids are allergic to peanuts. When I heard that, i could hardly believe it. That was my lunch so often!!! FROM JACK: Like with many things, we don't pay much attention, unless it affects us directly. After my knee surgery I got a HANDICAPPED parking card. It expired last weekend. I probably could get it renewed, but I'm walking well now.

FROM MOLINER CF: God not only gave me the workshop, He gave me the tools. FROM JACK: And we need to continually remind ourselves that it's his workshop.

FROM MT IN PENNSYLVANIA: It's funny that you should mention this. I always felt that my studio was God's Little Workshop (although I didn't hang a sign saying so). And now I have come to think that The Gabriel Institute (the business I am helping to build) is in the same category. Each in their own way, my glasswork and this business are ways to add some healing light in the world. FROM JACK: Maybe you should make a sign and hang it in your office. You've inspired me to have such a sign near my HP.

FROM HAWKEYE GS: I admire Mr. Carver's works. But my hero from that era is Booker T. Washington. FROM JACK: That's why they have horse races. Both are good choices. Both did interesting and worthwhile things as they labored in the Little Workshop where God put them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wished you a happy birthday yesterday on your blog, and also a happy birthday to Joanne Worley. Happy to see you're doing what you've been placed on earth to do again today. 100 uses for the peanut--who would have ever thunk!!! I used to wear cosmetics--wonder if I've ever put a peanut on my face? Today's WW once again are a delight. Thanks!!!
S.H. in MI