Thursday, September 23, 2010

Winning Words 9/23/10
“We do not know what to do with this short life, but we want another that is eternal.” (Anatole France) People often speculate as to what happens after death. A verse from the Bible says: “Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, the things that God has prepared.” That doesn’t stop us from giving descriptive opinions about heaven and hell. Do you have an opinion to share? ;-) Jack

FROM SL IN MICHIGAN: The answers to our questions that are un-answered here! FROM JACK: Yes, the "issues" that some people have "here" with God will no doubt be resolved in the "hereafter."

FROM EMT SINGS IN MICHIGAN: I expect something wonderful that cannot even imagine! FROM JACK: How about starting with the Beatles' song, Imagine?
Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...
You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one

FROM PRJM IN MICHIGAN: My depiction of hell, as eternal separation from God, is the heavenly city with the gates wide open and people streaming in and being satisfied at the banquet of the Lamb. The people who have put themselves in hell are still trying to scale the walls saying, "I did it my way!" -- they'll never get in.
Have fun this day whatever you do! God made us from the humus to be human with a sense of humor. FROM JACK: Referring back to the book, "90 Minutes in Heaven," which I read this week....the author describes what heaven was like when he was there for an hour and a half. I guess that the views of heaven are individual expressions, and not the same for everyone.

FROM AM IN MICHIGAN: We sing that verse and I always think it is so beautiful and hopeful. FROM JACK: I looked it up in the Catholic Community Hymnal that I "borrowed" from my friends at Prince of Peace. I'm going to return the book one of these days. Meanwhile, the words are worth sharing on the blog.
Eye Has Not Seen
Marty Haugen © 1982 GIA Publications
Verse 1
When pain and sorrow weigh us down, be near to us, O Lord,
forgive the weakness of our faith, and bear us up within your peaceful word.
Verse 2
Our lives are but a single breath, we flower and we fade,
yet all our days are in your hands, so we return in love what love has made.
Verse 3
To those who see with eyes of faith, the Lord is ever near,
reflected in the faces of all the poor and lowly of the world.
Verse 4
We sing a mystery from the past in halls where saints have trod,
yet ever new the music rings to Jesus, Living Song of God.
Chorus
Eye has not seen, ear has not heard what God has ready for those who love him;
Spirit of love, come, give us the mind of Jesus, teach us the wisdom of God.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: We all look forward to eternal life. I know it will be grander than anything we could possibly imagine. I used to believe Heaven would be all the ice cream I could eat always. Now I look forward to greeting all of my family and friends who have passed on. And, walking in the garden with Him. FROM JACK: I can't remember what you considered to be your favorite flavor of ice cream. Whatever, I'm sure that God must have it in his freezer. I'm sorta reminded of Burl Ives' song: "The Big Rock Candy Mountain," in which he sings of things that he would consider, "heavenly." To each, his own.

FROM MOLINER CF: My opinion is that too many people worry about the afterlife and don't live this one. FROM JACK: Yes, there are some who have that kind of worry, but they usually really get worried when the end is in sight.

FROM MO IN ILLINOIS: I think the Spiritual world is so far beyond our comprehension as mortals that we can't really envision it. If we had the background to understand and accept a definition of Heaven, I think Jesus would have described it for us. It's like Bill and I trying to describe to the Congolese in the bush country, what Marshal Fields was like at Christmas. No way they could possible get it. Don Piper said in his book, "Ninety Minutes in Heaven", that he had no recollection of his earthly family, or regrets to have left them. He only recognized the loved ones, or familiar people who were there at the gates of Heaven, and was so thrilled to see and be with them. And of course he said he will never forget the heavenly music! I am sure it is beyond our comprehension! FROM JACK: What a great response! Maybe you should go to seminary. On second thought, you don't need to. You already are a minister. Did I mention to you that I read Piper's book recently? I laughed at the comparison using the Congolese and Fields. Perfect.

No comments: