Thursday, September 16, 2010

Winning Words 9/16/10
“Life is half spent before we know what it is.” (French Proverb) Recently I went through some stuff that I had saved from the time I was living in my late teens and early twenties. I was distressed to see how much I could have learned, and didn’t. It was also interesting to see how much I did learn, without being aware of it. I can imagine it’s like that for most of us. “Too soon, old, and too late, smart!” ;-) Jack

FROM MF IN MICHIGAN: If I only knew, what I know now,...... I think Rod Stewart sang a song about this. When I was younger, When I was stronger. FROM JACK: Your's is a great response. Rod's song "gets it!" Ooh la, la, la, la, yeah!

Poor old Granddad I laughed at all his words I thought he was a bitter man
He spoke of women's ways They'll trap you, then they use you before you even know
For love is blind and you're far too kind Don't ever let it show

I wish that I knew what I know now When I was younger.
I wish that I knew what I know now When I was stronger.

Poor young grandson, there's nothing I can say You'll have to learn, just like me
And that's the hardest way, ooh la la Ooh la la, la la, yeah

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: If there is one thing I have learned in my 60 years....I haven't learned it all...yet. Hopefully, we learn from our mistakes and learn to make new ones instead. However, with age, we all can agree, our mistakes are forgiven as were our mistakes in our youth. God is forgiving and His mercy is great. Thankfully. FROM JACK: Early on I learned a lesson about GRACE which I didn't come to appreciate until later years. I'm still trying to comprehend it, because human nature says that "it isn't fair." Many of the teachings of Jesus beg that response.

FROM EMT SINGS IN MICHIGAN: So true! It seems that I heard that last quote many times as I was growing up with many German relatives. Seems it had almost an accent with it. My Mother still says it a lot! FROM JACK: “Vee Get Too Soon Oldt, und Too Late Schmardt!” It's not a new saying, by any means. Every generation seems to have seen the truth of it.

FROM MO IN ILLINOIS: Ha! too true. I just returned from our San Diego Moline H.S. mini-reunion, where class mates brought many old "remembrances" from 50 and 60 yrs. ago! It was great fun remembering...some things long dormant in our minds! It seems that while we are BUSY with careers, raising children, doing volunteering, socializing, playing, etc. etc. the years fly by in a blur. Now that we can "catch our breath", we have more time to savor todays and yesterdays...a "senior" blessing! FROM JACK: My MHS reunion is happening this weekend at Short Hills CC and at the Arsenal. About 50 will be there. I'm looking forward to gettting some e-mail pictures.

No comments: