Friday, September 10, 2010

Winning Words 9/10/10
“For fast-acting relief, try slowing down.” (Lily Tomlin) Lily was born and raised in Detroit in a blue collar family, and we’re proud of her. Her characters, Ernestine and Edith Ann, make me laugh. Lily’s life was not always an easy one, and her WWs today give some advice to us when we find that the schedule is too full, with too much to do and too little time. I wonder if she followed her advice. ;-) Jack

FROM DM IN MICHIGAN: Which leads me to say what my mother in law always said, and I sure millions of others "The hurryer you go, the behinder you get!" These days we (I say we but mean I ) are always running a little late but are we just running a little early for the next endeavor? FROM JACK: My mother-in-law used to say, "One step, and then another, and the longest journey is ended." Sometimes we can learn a lot from those infamous mother-in-laws, if we just pay attention.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Sounds like a Pepto Bismo commercial. I did love to watch Ernestine and Edith Ann. She was so funny but so true to life. As life swirls around us like a tornado, we do try to slow down and enjoy the little moments which make life so much fun. Happy Friday! FROM JACK: I read that they also make Pepto-Bismol for dogs. Do those pets need it after they've been chasing their tails?

FROM RI IN BOSTON: Effervescent advice from an effervescent comedian. The WW make sense so I'm going to slow down today...from a stroll to a crawl. FROM JACK: I always seem to work better with deadlines. At least, that was my excuse for being a procrastinator. MORE FROM RI: Procrastination reminds me of a cartoon we had tacked up in our architectural studio at Washington University. It showed 2 slackers, slouched in lounge chairs with their feet up on the coffee table, and the caption was, "Next week we've got to get organized!"

FROM EMT SINGS IN MICHIGAN: I have heard this: B-being U-under S-Satans Y-yoke. I think there is some truth in that. FROM JACK: B-U-S-Y connected with Satan? A saying traced back to 1386 AD puts it this way: "Idle hands are the Devil's tools." The Devil seems to work both sides of the street.

FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE: I saw her on a rerun recently. Just outstanding!

FROM CJL IN OHIO: Even in retirement.....Probably not. She was funny. I appreciated her humor.

No comments: