Monday, August 09, 2010

Winning Words 8/9/10
“Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we are born.” (Albert Einstein) One of my favorite radio programs when I was growing up was, “I Love a Mystery.” I continue to be interested in mysteries and puzzles. I’m still working on the mystery of life and why things happen as they do. The radio drama had an answer at the end. I expect that life will be like that, too. ;-) Jack

FROM RI IN BOSTON: I think that if Einstein felt that way, who am I to disregard his advice. Many great minds have pondered the mystery of life, and expressed their opinions, but the mystery has never been solved and determined "case closed." FROM JACK: In this e-mail response, I started to list the "mysteries" I came across while reading the newspaper this morning. But, I want to start the week out on a positive note, so I've decided to re-write my e-mail to you and not disclose my list.

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: This reminds me of a really Christmasy WW. Doesn't it say somewhere in the Bible that, if we have a mystery that is really dogging us in our lives, eventually God will reveal a solution, even if it's just the windstorm blowing around Job or something. Seems like this is a very spiritual WW, especially since Great Mystery is capitalized and it's really cool, a relief even, to know our scientists think like this. FROM JACK: I like that part of Handel's "Messiah" where the bass sings: "Behold, I tell you a mystery," a quote from 1 Corinthians 15:51,52.

FROM EMT SINGS IN MICHIGAN: Another thing that you say that I could not agree more with. One of my grandsons says to me "Don't say, isn't that interesting? one more time!" FROM JACK: What an interesting comment from your grandson!

FROM PRGC IN SANDIEGO: Like you I am a curious child re the Great Mystery. Maybe the end of each of our lives will be a huge revelation. And that might not be so. It could be a partial revelation. Been doing some reading on this subject plus a bit of writing. A thick cloud seems to hang over an answer. FROM JACK: It's like Hjalmar said: "You can't unscrew the inscrutable."

FROM MOLINER CF: Sometimes I envy fatalists. They don't worry about stuff like this. FROM JACK: Do you mean that you're not curious about the things that go on around you?

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: I'm also curious about what is around the corner. I believe most of us are. It's a matter of what you think is around the corner.....happiness, discovery, joy or does one expect doom and gloom. I prefer to look at the Great Mystery as one of brightness and light and eternal joy. FROM JACK: I like this Bible verse: "Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him." Someday the mystery shall be revealed.

FROM MO IN ILLINOIS: I read the huge bio. of Albert Einstein, which was interesting, to say the least...he was a unique individual!! I guess if we believe the verse, "then you shall know, even as you are known", we will
have some answers. As Ricky Ricardo used to say to Lucy, "You've got some 'splaining to do! (God)!" FROM JACK: I wonder language God will use. What if he (she) talks like Ricky? MORE FROM MO: I've thought that many times, and so often when I'm teaching Sunday School, wish for a few details: You just have to take educated guesses about motives, missing insights, etc. etc.! I love your quote from your professor: You can't unscrew the inscrutable...that is a gem!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of a really Christmasy WW. Doesn't it say somewhere in the Bible that, if we have a mystery that is really dogging us in our lives, eventually God will reveal a solution, even if it's just the windstorm blowing around Job or something. Seems like this is a very spiritual WW, especially since Great Mystery is capitalized and it's really cool, a relief even, to know our scientists think like this.
S.H. in MI