Thursday, August 05, 2010

Winning Words 8/5/10
“Can’t go over it, can’t go under it, gotta go through it.” (Rosen & Oxenbury) I think that this quote is from the book, Going on a Bear Hunt. It was sent to me by someone who was faced with a problem and learned to handle it by reading this childrens book. We can sometimes find help with “our situations” by looking in some unusual places. Who would think that a book about a bear hunt would be one? ;-) Jack

FROM SL IN MICHIGAN: Over the last six weeks since my Dad's death we have said this to my Mom. She gets upset with herself when she has sad times. I have told her over and over again "Mom you just have to trudge through this". She took some masters classes many years ago in grief recovery and learned there the same thing. It is life, isn't it? The good and the bad! We just have to go through it. I find children's books some of the best examples of that. The Selfish Giant, The Tale of Three Trees, Why Christmas Trees Aren't Perfect, three examples of great lessons for all of us. You continue to inspire me each day. Thank you! FROM JACK: I like the book, "Tough Times Never Last; Tough People Do." Everyone deals with the death of a loved one in their own way. You in your's, and your mom in her's...but we can help one another, and that's what's important.

FROM JK IN MICHIGAN: Today's quote really appeals to me this morning. FROM JACK: Working on puzzles is a challenge for me. Sometimes life is a puzzle.

FROM ML IN ILLINOIS: "i'm not afraid!?!?!?!?!?" FROM JACK: Fear comes in a variety of packages. MORE FROM ML: and we just have to go through it.

FROM PO IN MICHIGAN: This one certainly applies to my recent surgery. It's an interesting journey and I'm learning a lot about myself. FROM JACK: Yes, we are complex individuals, in more ways than one.

FROM PRCH ON CAPE COD: It’s a great book… had so much fun reading that one to our girls… (taking a break in the middle of the day/morning to go clamming at low tide- so not bear hunting for me but Quahog hunting) FROM JACK: You could write new book: "Going on a Quahog Hunt," or "Questing for Quahogs."

FROM PRPH IN MINNESOTA: My wife used this story every year she taught elementary school. i can recite most of it from memory. FROM JACK: If you can recite it from memory, you shouldn't have any trouble going over, going under, or going through "situations."

FROM MOLINER CF: Ever heard of an end run? FROM JACK: You're right. Another solution is to "go around it." I've used that trick on occasion.

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: We'll be getting this book for our Mustard Seed Library. Thanks for telling us about it and for all the reviews here on your blog. Pastor David gave us a quote some old lady told her religion professor: "My God is so high, you can't get over Him. He's so low, you can't get under Him. He's so wide, you can get round Him. You must come in, by and thru the Lamb." Great to know the message can come to children in their language too, as well as old ladies.

FROM MO IN ILLINOIS: A friend sent me a little whimsical book "When You're Afraid of the Dark, Remember the Night Rainbow", by Cooper Edens, when Bill was dying of Brain cancer, and I was taking care of him at home. Just pure whimsy, but I loved that book, and it made me smile. It ended with, "If There is no happy ending,Make one out of cookie dough!" Help from unusual books, again. FROM JACK: Poignant!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We'll be getting this book for our Mustard Seed Library. Thanks for telling us about it and for all the reviews here on your blog. Pastor David gave us a quote some old lady told her religion professor: "My God is so high, you can't get over Him. He's so low, you can't get under Him. He's so wide, you can get round Him. You must come in, by and thru the Lamb." Great to know the message can come to children in their language too, as well as old ladies.
S.H. in MI