Friday, August 27, 2010

Winning Words 8/27/10
“Sometimes old things need to go away. That way we have room for the new things that come into our lives.” (Randy Milholland) RM is a web cartoonist. He’s probably too edgy for the newspapers’ typical funny pages. Maybe this quote is really about life and death. Or, maybe it’s about our reluctance to change. As I look back, I’m glad for the changes that I’ve seen…at least most of them. ;-) Jack

FROM PRJS IN MICHIGAN: I think "change" is like everything else....it needs to be evaluated. We need to ask the question, "Is this a good thing or a not so good thing?" I enjoy change but not change for change's sake. I voted against the merger in 1988. As I look back I think it was a wise vote. The new church has not worked. It has never really become a church. It is still a group of parts flying off in different directions. FROM JACK: You will notice that I began my comment with the word, SOMETIMES. Of course change, just for change's sake, is not what I advocate. But I do believe that to hang on to the old, just because it's old, is not good, either. BTW, I did vote for the merger, and I'm glad that I did. It's not perfect, but neither are you or I. At least, not me.

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: After our dog died, our cat (who had been extremely quiet and in the background) came forward, watching in the window for us to come home, greeting us at the door, asking for treats when we're busy at the computer. About 1 1/2 years after our mom died, a new woman came into dad's life. She helped him sort out life as he had to do then, in a very caring and good way. Life and death changes seems like are our greatest gifts from God. FROM JACK: Those are good examples of what I was trying to say. A former senator, Everett Dirkson (GOP) was criticized by some members of his party for changing his vote on a certain issue. His response: "Those who don't change are either dead or in an insane asylum."

FROM DM IN MICHIGAN: Your quote and comment are certainly food for my meditation today. FROM JACK: We change our clothes once in a while; what's wrong with changing our mind once in a while, too?

FROM PRDC IN KANSAS: Did you realize that describes cancer? Those old cells forget to die off and go away. They stay there and grow. AND how! To live we need to 'die' daily Have I heard that somewhere else? FROM JACK: That's an interesting thought. I've read that some cancer patients deal with the chemo process by visualizing two warring armies in battle with each other, with the "good guys" winning.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: As one of those "old things" and getting older everyday....I have a problem with this quote. LOL But, I do understand getting rid old: old hurts, old prejudices, old sins, old things which keep us from being renewed each day. FROM JACK: As I was saying...It's about change. There are times when hanging on the old is not a good thing. Especially, if "the old" leaves no room for "the new." I do not want to live on this earth forever and ever and ever and ever.

FROM SG IN TAMPA: Thank goodness for some change. It would be a very boring life otherwise. It is indeed true that some changes are easier to live with than some. FROM JACK: Memory is a great gift. By it, we can hang on the good stuff, without having to live through some of the not-so-good stuff. I'm reminded of the lines by Robert Louis Stevenson: " The world is so full of a number of things, I ’m sure we should all be as happy as kings."

FROM MOLINER CF: I'm a pack rat, so I just make room for the new. Sometimes it takes a little juggling but why would you want to get rid of something you value? FROM JACK: What makes something valuable? Most of the "stuff" we've accumulated through the years will be tossed when we die, or saved by another pack rat.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

After our dog died, our cat (who had been extremely quiet and in the background) came forward, watching in the window for us to come home, greeting us at the door, asking for treats when we're busy at the computer. About 1 1/2 years after our mom died, a new woman came into dad's life. She helped him sort out life as he had to do then, in a very caring and good way. Life and death changes seems like are our greatest gifts from God.
S.H. in MI