Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Winning Words 8/24/10
“The goal is to become blackboards for God to write upon.” (Henrik Ibsen) I like the imagery of these words. They’re from Ibsen’s drama, Brand. Brand sees himself as being on a mission from God. In a sense, our coming into this world is a mission. We each have a personal opportunity to accomplish something. To be a “blackboard for God” can be such a one. Thankfully, God also provides erasers. ;-) Jack

FROM JK IN MICHIGAN: This word is excellent! Sometimes I think that I might use up my 'eraser', but God is always faithful even when I am not (i really like Him). FROM JACK: God has an unlimited supply of erasers. "Ask, and you shall receive."

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: This word is excellent in my opinion too. Last night in VBS we studied the story about Tabitha. How there is that one feminine pronoun for disciple in the New Testament. It's awesome to think and believe that God is still writing, that He, so to speak, uses the permanent/temporaryness of blackboards (us) to get His historical message across to His Church, to the world. Just hope all of us can read as well as Tabitha and Peter did. FROM JACK: I think it's interesting that the name, Tabitha, is similar to the word, tabula, which means
, a smoothed tablet, like a mind in its earliest state, before it has been drawn on by other people or life's circumstances. I should look up, Tabitha, to see the derivation of the name.

FROM LK IN OHIO: Have a good day......whatever one's view of God, I think this is worth pondering. FROM JACK: I'm pondering......Does the fact that we are all individuals mean that there are as many views of God as there are people? Maybe it underscores the truth that G-d is infinite.

FROM YOOPER BOB: Excellent quote and energizer for the day. FROM JACK: Speaking of "imagery," I'll never forget your challenging sermon: "We should all be artificial inseminators for God."

FROM MO IN ILLINOIS: My friend and I just saw an excellent presentation of Henrik Ibsen's play THE DOLL HOUSE. He was ahead of his time, in presenting a viewpoint sympathetic to women's rights! The Doll House wife (Time:1890) leaves her husband and 3 young children at the end of the play, in order to "find" herself and develop into a full-fledged human being, rather than to stay in an unsatisfying marriage, and be the proper, shallow-minded, beautiful "nightingale" bird of a wife, she was expected to be. I could identify with leaving the marriage, but not my children!! I can only imagine what a furor that play caused in the late 1800's! I was pleasantly surprised to see this Christian quote by him! How thankful I am to be a 20th-21st century woman in America. How blessed we are!!! Hopefully our blackboards have some meaningful writing on them that may reflect in favor of Christ! FROM JACK: Sometimes grandchildren can't believe what was considered "acceptable" in the days when I was growing up. To read about it in history books or to see it in a play is one thing, but to hear it "first-hand" is another. "I can't believe it, grandpa!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This word is excellent in my opinion too. Last night in VBS we studied the story about Tabitha. How there is that one feminine pronoun for disciple in the New Testament. It's awesome to think and believe that God is still writing, that He, so to speak, uses the permanent/temporaryness of blackboards (us) to get His historical message across to His Church, to the world. Just hope all of us can read as well as Tabitha and Peter did.
S.H. in MI