Monday, August 23, 2010

Winning Words 8/23/10
“Help us to do the things we should, to be to others kind and good.” (Rebecca Weston, 1890) A WWs friend says that he sings a little song each morning when he wakes up. Today’s quote is one line from that song. I’ll post the rest on the blog for those who are interested. It’s really a prayer set to music. The first verse is one of giving thanks. The second asks for help in becoming a better person. ;-) Jack

Father, we thank thee for the night, and for the pleasant morning light;
for rest and food and loving care, and all that makes the world so fair.

Help us to do the things we should, to be to others kind and good;
in all we do, in work or play, to grow more loving every day.

FROM CS IN WISCONSIN: What wonderful memories this quote brought up today for me. My mother taught the prayer to me and hundreds of other Sunday School kids while she was Sunday School Superintendent. It was a part of our opening worship time each Sunday morning. I doubt she knew who Rebecca Weston was, but maybe this was something she learned at church as she grew up. My mom was born in 1908. Thanks for some wonderful memories today! FROM JACK: There are so many good things that were learned in Sunday School. Besides this little song, I also learned the 23rd Psalm when I was in Kindergarten. For being able to recite it from memory, I was given a prize...a necktie. A "great" gift for a 5-yr-old. But a better gift was putting that psalm into my memory bank.

FROM MO IN ILLINOIS: Ah yes. My sister and I sang that in the nursery and kindergarten dept. of the Lutheran church in our neighborhood in Moline. "in all we do, in all we say, to grow like Jesus every day...".Pretty basic theology, isn't it? :-) A pleasant memory! Words set to music stay with us forever, it seems. FROM JACK: From Kindergarten until now....SEE, there is a forever!

No comments: