Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Winning Words 8/18/10
“The thing you have to be prepared for is that other people don’t always dream your dream.” (Linda Ronstadt) A friend of my son’s used to keep a poster of Linda in his room when he was in high school. LR has recorded many songs, including, “When I Grow Too Old To Dream.” The kind of dreaming we do is not always done at night. No matter what age you might be, don’t stop dreaming. ;-) Jack

FROM NL IN INDIANA: Amen to that: FROM JACK: Coming up with ideas (dreaming) is a characteristic that I see in you.

FROM MV IN MICHIGAN: -Linda Ronstadt’s mother was from the Flint area. I think my mom knew of her through the Junior League of Flint. I liked her music. FROM JACK: I decided to look it up. Her mother, Ruthmary Copeman, was indeed from the Flint area. Her grandfather was an inventor with nearly 700 patents, including an early version of the microwave oven. Did you have a poster of Linda in your room? MORE FROM MV: I remember the name Copeman. No poster for me-not even any albums. I did like her voice and music though.

FROM PRJS IN MICHIGAN: "We fly forgotten as a dream Dies at the opening day" FROM JACK: That Isaac Watts was a great hymn writer. I have a book where I record some of my dreams so I don't forget them. Recently I dreamed that as I stepped into the pulpit to preach I found that someone had removed my notes.
MORE FROM JS: That actually happened to me....fortunately, I rarely ever looked at them so I was ok....but it was unnerving to realize that they were gone. It turned out that the person giving the Temple Talk that day for Stewardship had taken them when he was done....along with his own notes.

FROM RI IN BOSTON: My son formed a friendship with a young man when they were in the same dorm at the university. He was a music major, has written several compositions, and won some prizes too. Later he decided to get into Information Technology and was employed for quite a few years in that field, and earning well. One day he decided he wanted to be an artist, quit work, and on his own got involved painting ... essentially self taught. Fulfilling a dream he paints full time now and his work is impressive. FROM JACK: I like John Lennon's song, Imagine, in which one lines goes: "You may say that I'm a dreamer..." This world needs more dreamers.

FROM MOLINER CF: Daydreams are more interesting than night dreams because you can control them. (Yeah, I'm a control freak!) FROM JACK: Congratulations! I'm not able to control all of my dreams, day or night...just some of them.

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: I just want to be able to dream the vision God wants to put into my heart and head. When other people have different ideas often I get confused and full of doubts and frankly that unprepares me to act in doing things that would really be good to do. It's not always easy to distinguish what's wise in other people and myself and for not putting up walls between us and God's dreaming in us. FROM JACK: I'm wondering.... Does God dream?

FROM CJL IN OHIO: The older you get, that's all you can do! And some of it's realistic..... FROM JACK: Do you dream during your afternoon nap? And how about during the Sunday sermon?

FROM MO IN ILLINOIS: AMEN, brother. Never give up dreaming! How fortunate to be living in AMERICA, where dreams can often be implemented. In our old age, we probably have more time to "dream", but less physical acuity to implement them...nevertheless, you have to have a dream.... FROM JACK: "Stone walls do not a prison make." Dreams allow one to fly over the walls of life's prisons.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just want to be able to dream the vision God wants to put into my heart and head. When other people have different ideas often I get confused and full of doubts and frankly that unprepares me to act in doing things that would really be good to do. It's not always easy to distinguish what's wise in other people and myself and for not putting up walls between us and God's dreaming in us.
S.H. in MI