Thursday, April 29, 2010

Winning Words 4/29/10
“Do not use a hatchet to remove a fly from your friend’s forehead.” (Chinese Proverb) This saying is a reminder that we need to show sensitivity to our friends, if we are to keep them as friends. There is such a thing as acting without thinking. Maybe the practice of counting to 10 before swinging a hatchet isn’t such a bad idea. ;-) Jack

FROM MV IN MICHIGAN: Amen Jack. I really need to work on this personally! FROM JACK: It starts with putting away the hatchet and using something else.

FROM HS IN MICHIGAN: Too graphic! FROM JACK: Now that I've got you attention....

FROM LIZ IN ILLINOIS: NOW you tell me! FROM JACK: "Lay that hatchet down, babe, lay that hatchet down; hatchet wielding mama, lay that hatchet down." Do you remember that song?

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: This sounds like a summary of Obamacare. They'll get the fly but kill the economic will for folks to be self sufficient. The other explanation is proponents of government takeover of health care are not really friends (of freedom). FROM JACK: We have to watch out when you have a tomahawk in your hand.

FROM HAWKEYE GS: How about walking in the other's shoes first? FROM JACK: Try moccasins.

FROM MOLINER CF: If he is a true friend, he will appreciate the removal of the fly. FROM JACK: As for me, I'd rather deal with the fly than an ax in my head.

FROM SG IN TAMPA: We shouldn't even be thinking of hatchets at this stage of life. FROM JACK: If there are any hatchets, they should be buried....at this stage of life.

FROM PRJS IN MICHIGAN: It was my job one summer to cut down 126 Elm trees (when the blight hit) with an axe (hatchet). It works much better on them than on a forehead. FROM JACK: You might gain the attention of some blockheads by using an axe.

FROM JACK:
Cl_icon60

FROM PAIGE: I have to share a story about your quote yesterday. I'm an 8th grade science teacher and I have a student named Florisha. I love her immensely but she is a very challenging young lady! She has amazing potential but does not see it in herself. She is a student who continuously acts impulsively. In fact, it is something we have been working on because she is having a hard time making and keeping positive relationships. Yesterday, I printed your quote “Do not use a hatchet to remove a fly from your friend’s
forehead.” I gave it to her and asked if she understood why I thought of her when I read it. She got teary eyed and explained to me exactly why I shared it with her. She impressed me with the depth of her understanding, in fact. Yesterday afternoon, we had a staff meeting about a new check in, check out program where
challenging students have a "Parent" here at school that greets them in the morning, makes sure they have all their materials, and checks in with them at the end of the day to see how the day went. Florisha has been piloting the program and was asked to present to the staff how she felt it was working. At the end of her presentation, she decided to read your quote to the staff and to use it to explain to everyone she is trying to do exactly what you suggested. Start counting to 10 before responding. It was really impressive and
amazing to see her apologize to the staff for her challenges but promise them to keep trying. I loved it.
I often forward your quotes to the people they bring to mind. I can't tell you how much I appreciate each and every one. Thank you!!! I attached a picture of Florisha presenting yesterday. I was proud of her! FROM JACK: A response like yours makes Winning Words worthwhile for me.

FROM PRCH ON CAPE COD: Thanks for this one! In communicating to a family member recently I think I came on too strong... and these words were apt... with a big grin I forwarded this quotation and apologized for being too strong in my communication! Thanks, Nathan! (biblical pun intended!) FROM JACK: A song that I like was sung by the Mills Brothers.....

You always hurt the one you love
The one you shouldn't hurt at all
You always take the sweetest rose
And crush it till the petals fall

You always brea-eak the kindest hear-eart
With a hasty word you can't recall, so
If I broke your heart la-ast night
It's because I love you most of all

No comments: