Friday, April 16, 2010

Winning Words 4/16/10
“There never seems to be enough time to do all the things you want to do.” (Jim Croce) “Time In A Bottle” is one of my favorite songs. Time is fickle. Sometimes it moves so fast, and sometimes so slow. And, then, there are times when we’d just like to stop it all together and, as Jim sings, put it in a bottle. But isn’t it the nature of time that it’s always movin’ on? However, if you could put it in a bottle…. ;-) Jack

FROM HAWKEYE GS: I was getting too busy so I tracked my time. With 168 hours in a week I had allotted 190 hours, including sleep & meals. Somethin' gotta change. FROM JACK: Try stuffing a 190 pound body into clothes that are for a 168 pounder.

FROM PL IN MICHIGAN: You just happen to pick our wedding song, Jack! It was 36 years on March 31. I happen to really like that song for so many reasons. FROM JACK: And now prospective grandparents...Time flies, indeed.

FROM PR JS IN MICHIGAN: "What is time?" FROM JACK: Augustine said, "If no one asks of me, I know; if I wish to explain to him who asks, I know not." That should satisfy you! MORE FROM JS: I was interested to see if you would use the Augustine quote....and you did. Good for you.

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: I like this quote by Dumas, but I don't know who he is. "It is time to make the time." — Henry Dumas: Was an American writer and poet And, another...
Time is selfish. If you ignore it, it turns its back on you... not giving you the time of day. But if you plan for it, pay attention to it, and respect it, it happily gives you all the hours and minutes you need. There is more than enough time to get healthy and live exceptionally. You simply must make the time. (Dr. Gerald Epstein)
FROM JACK: I took the time to Google Henry Dumas, and I'm glad I did.
MORE FROM JON: Agreed. "Time in a Bottle" is a classic about a timeless subject. That and Alvin Lee's "I'd Love to Change the World" are high on the list of songs I wish I had written. This week I am working on a song for my daughter. She turns 15 Tuesday.

FROM SG IN TAMPA: That is why we should enjoy each day regardless. By the way, tomorrow our neighbors are going to celebrate a long life of living of Pop, 100 years. His granddaughter and and husband live across the street, and they prepare the meals every weekend for Pop and Jack, who is slightly mentally challenged and who does a lot of handy work for everyone around. Pop sometimes rides his three wheel bike around the block and spends a lot of time working on its motor. On the Today program yesterday it was announced that he went 80 miles an hour, but I have never seen him go that fast. FROM JACK: I hope that the bike has a horn and the rider knows how to use it.

FROM DM IN MICHIGAN: Thank you for your thoughts.....They have helped me through a difficult stretch ...and will continue to do so, as I weather transitional storms.... FROM JACK: God has a way of entering our life in unusual ways.

FROM DMF IN MINNESOTA: After reading this I listened to the song. FROM JACK: What if you really could put time in a bottle? Great tune and great words.

FROM MOLINER CF: Maybe that's because we spend too much time doing some of the things we could do in less time. For the things we really want to do, we make time. FROM JACK: I like spending time writing Winning Words and answering comments like yours. MORE FROM CF: I love the mindcersize you give me every day. Keep it up.

FROM DS IN SAN DIEGO: One of my most favorite, but somewhat sad, songs. I love to listen to it. I have his album and all his music is meaningful. He died way to early. FROM JACK: The Croce puzzle has many pieces.

FROM MO IN ILLINOIS: As you age, it seems time FLIES! The days just seem to slip away. It's always later than I think! Ha ("Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think...enjoy yourself, while you're still in the pink...but that another song!!) Keep smiling! FROM JACK: Ahhh, a Guy Lombardo favorite, or as a friend of mine used to call him, Gus Lumbago.

FRO PRJM IN MICHIGAN: There are some moments one would never want in a bottle and other moments, the ones we want to keep, that are too huge for a bottle. FROM JACK: That's an interesting comment. I think that Jim Croce was thinking of the "positive" times. There are some people who "bottle up" the memories of "negative" times that they don't enjoy and appreciate the good stuff that's going on.

FROM NK IN WISCONSIN: the first thing that came to my mind when I read the first line was......"time to go Mary!........ FROM JACK: That had slipped my mind. I'll have to practice that line so I can use it this summer in Bluejay country.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: I would put my children's and grandchildren's first bubbly laughs in to listen to forever. Now, with video camera's etc, you can actual accomplish those feats. I heard my children's laughter and thought I had never heard anything sweeter...but "Granma, I love you", comes close!

FROM MO IN ILLINOIS: HA! LOVE IT! I SEEM TO WORK BEST WHEN THE PRESSURE IS ON...OTHERWISE I CAN PUTTER AWAY A DAY WITH NO TROUBLE AT ALL! EASIER, TOO, AS I GET OLDER AND S-L-O-W-E-R!
STILL, ALL THINGS CONSIDERED, WE DO PRETTY DARN WELL MOST OF THE TIME TO PUT OUR TIME TO
SOME CONSTRUCTIVE USE!

No comments: