Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Winning Words 4/14/10
“When you start with the wrong question, no matter how good an answer you get, it won’t matter very much.” (Jim Wallis – Sent by DC) Wallis is the founder of the magazine, Sojourners, and is an advocate for social justice. He is criticized by some for his advocacy. “What is social justice?” Can you give a good answer to that, or is it a wrong question? ;-) Jack

FROM PO IN MICHIGAN: I'm going to have fun with this one today. I have some problems with Jim Wallis tho I consider myself a justice person. Is it the 'social' piece ---- hmmmmm. FROM JACK: I expect to get some feedback on this one. The question is: "What is justice and how should it be applied to society?"

FROM PRJS: What is a wrong question? FROM JACK: One that gives you an earache.

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: The definition of social justice seems to change depending on whose ox is getting gored to lavish “justice” on the “victim” being championed by the abuser/hero. It is mans attempt to play God. Mostly by political hacks from the left or right imposing a sort of “misanthropic philanthropy.” The idea that social justice is achieved by raising costs more than 100 a month on 285 million that have health insurance to pay for 15 million that do not shows complete contempt and utter disregard for the 285 million. The current law controls every aspect of becoming an MD including where you will practice and how much you can make is the direction of the current state of “social justice.” The idea that you could buy insurance to replace a car you already wrecked is preposterous—but no more than forcing companies to insure preexisting conditions. The preexisting conditions clause will break insurance companies forcing out of business and
allowing the current government what it wants—a welfare program to replace real insurance—more dependence—higher costs—more control for the hero/abuser/government. Leftist social justice seems to have designs on creating a permanent underclass ever more dependent on government. A permanent voting bloc (much like the 2 million HC workers in the UK) only far larger. FROM JACK: I just asked a simple question.

FROM MF IN MICHIGAN: I don't think it is a wrong question, don't think I have a good answer either. I believe some things can become more fair, others will be unattainable. FROM JACK: A relative of my wife liked to have heated discussions. He would begin by coming into a room and asking, "What is justice?" -- and take off from there. MORE FROM MF: I loved Good Debt Jon's response, he nailed your question.

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: Actually, my husband and I belong to a small Sojourners group. We just read within the last six months the book he wrote about economics. The wrong question "When is the economy going to get better?" The right question "What can we learn from this current economy so that we can do things better?" What exactly is social justice is a good question I think. But I pose the question that, when we learn some things from the current economy, what is it that always seems to keep a bunch of us people from taking
the path to do things better? There's where the sh** hits the fan. Seems like we can do things better but we need a heart for it. Maybe that's the same thing behind Jim Wallis being criticized for his advocacy. Pondering FROM JACK: I like your comment on turning a wrong question into a right question.

FROM BP IN FLORIDA: Toooo broad a question as Social is determined by the one asking. The courts handed down their perception of justice, but my grandson, ( for example) will never receive social justice as we see it. With this term you've hit a nerve and you know that's easy to do with me. FROM JACK: I don't let the courts determine what I think is justice; the teachings of Jesus guide me in my thoughts about people.

FROM MOLINER CF: Got to pondering the difference between Social Justice and Social Injustice. Is that the wrong question? FROM JACK: Social Injustice is the misuse of Social Justice. Each has to determine for himself/herself, what it is in their mind. From my point of view, a large segment of society is treated unjustly.

FROM PO IN MICHIGAN: Oh my --- I can feel the rusty gears in my brain groaning now. And I'm at the Synod House working on the assembly --- theme: For the Lord Loves Justice! FROM JACK: I'm glad to see that the synod believes...The Lord Loves Justice. Now, what is justice?

FROM MO IN ILLINOIS: Hard to argue with that one! I know of Sojourners Magazine, but do not subscribe to it. FROM JACK: I'm another of the non-subscribers who is an admirerer. I'll have to do something about that.

FROM SG IN TAMPA: That is very interesting question. Social justice used to mean-in the 40's and 50's- the right to earn a living wage and equal opportunity regardless of race or religion. When I belonged to the League for Social Justice in Davenport many years ago, those were the main concerns. Usually the pendulum swings too far in either direction. Today we need some common sense. FROM JACK: The mores of society change from generation to generation, but does basic justice? The Ten Commandments, for example, are a guide for justice, but the interpretation changes. I agree with regard to common sense. Someone said it: "Common sense isn't so common."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually, my husband and I belong to a small Sojourners group. We just read within the last six months the book he wrote about economics. The wrong question "When is the economy going to get better?" The right question "What can we learn from this current economy so that we can do things better?" What exactly is social justice is a good question I think. But I pose the question that, when we learn some things from the current economy, what is it that always seems to keep a bunch of us people from taking the path to do things better? There's where the sh** hits the fan. Seems like we can do things better but we need a heart for it. Maybe that's the same thing behind Jim Wallis being criticized for his advocacy.
Pondering in Southfield, MI
S.H.