Monday, December 07, 2009

Winning Words 12/7/09
“How we remember, what we remember, and why we remember form the most personal map of our individuality.” (Christina Baldwin) Christina conducts writing workshops called, “Storycatching.” Is there a particular date or incident that stands out in your life and has a story attached to it? That date and story could tell something about your individuality. Dec 6, is such a date for me. ;-) Jack

MORE FROM JACK: On Saturday, Dec 6, I went to the bank in Moline, Ill, and purchased a bond for $18.75. I never cashed it. In fact, it's still hanging on my office wall. It causes me to Remember Pearl Harbor.

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: Glad I went onto your blog and read your "More from Jack" entry. It helps me to crawl into your skin and understand better today even what it must have felt like to have our country invaded back then. Now it's these drones in Afghanistan/Pakistan that bother me. What kind of a world are we making where war can be like that? What kind of remembering and personal maps of individuality are we creating among the children that God created? Thanks for WW today FROM JACK: Today is tomorrow's memory.

FROM HS IN MICHIGAN: But it's Dec SEVENTH! FROM JACK: Yes, I know. Look at MORE FROM JACK above.

FROM RI IN BOSTON: There are some unusual aspects to remembering. The dates of conventional holidays, birthdays, weddings, etc. are easy, but I can't remember dates of some of other salient events in my life. For instance, I remember the day I got married but not the day that I made up my mind and proposed. I know the day I retired but not the day that I took my first job. However, while I don't remember the date that I first met you Jack, I do remember the moment, and there's a long satisfying story of what followed. FROM JACK: To remember the event and not the date is more important to remember the date. Many memories associated with the you and your family. I could write a book....at least a BIG LITTLE book. Do you remember them?

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: It's funny how we remember events in our lives so much more vividly as we age. And, we also become better looking, a lot smarter and so much nicer in our remembering. I have a lot of stories and incidents I remember now...I try to just remember the good times and forget and forgive the bad. Each one is part of our map though but I am directionally challenged. Just ask my family!

FROM BBC IN ILLINOIS: I love Christina's books - reading the one on journaling a third time now… FROM JACK: When you read a book for the third time, if must be good.

FROM MF IN MICHIGAN: Sometimes I'm discouraged by how much I can't remember, people say it's all a part of getting older. My wife and I practice repeating things over and over to help us remember things, we believe two brains are better than one. FROM JACK: Maybe that's why a spouse is sometimes referred to as a help-mate.
FROM LP IN MICHIGAN: Funny, Chris and I were talking about this recently. May my memory be good today! MORE FROM LP: My memory held and I passed my oral defense. I wonder what I'll remember of that Dec 7 years from now. FROM JACK: Congratulations! When will you be called, Doctor?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad I went onto your blog and read your "More from Jack" entry. It helps me to crawl into your skin and understand better today even what it must have felt like to have our country invaded back then. Now it's these drones in Afghanistan/Pakistan that bother me. What kind of a world are we making where war can be like that? What kind of remembering and personal maps of individuality are we creating among the children that God created? Thanks for WW today--your memory has caught my attention today and gotten rightful importance, war stories go on for a long, long time.
S.H. in MI