Thursday, December 03, 2009

Winning Words 12/3/09
“I don’t describe myself as a Christian or religious, but I like to think that how I live my life is honest.” (Iris DeMent) Some people are still searching for what it means to be religious. In one of her songs, Iris sings, “Well, I believe in love, and I live my life accordingly.” That sounds “Christian” to me, especially when reading Luke 10:27. Sometimes we’re religious and don’t even know it. ;-) Jack

FROM PRMD IN MICHIGAN: Amen! Just yesterday, I worried that the emphasis I place on a loving God (rather than the a righteously angry one) is not fully grasping the character of God. But, here you are reminding me that love is at the heart of God. Forgive me for this typecasting, but when you speak, I hear you as an elder, like Simeon, giving the rest of us a glimpse of what God’s plan is. So, thank you for your boldness in encouraging me personally, and thank God for Winning Words, which has brought hope to me so many times! FROM JACK: Here are the lyrics to Iris DeMent's song, "Let the Mystery be." As a sidebar, she grew up in a Pentecostal home, has questioned that style of religious expression, has been told that she won't make it to heaven, and claims to be an agnostic. I like the the song, and you can Google for a u-tube version.

Everybody's wonderin' what and where they all came from.
Everybody's worryin' 'bout where they're gonna go when the whole thing's done.
But no one knows for certain and so it's all the same to me.
I think I'll just let the mystery be.

Some say once you're gone you're gone forever, and some say you're gonna come back.
Some say you rest in the arms of the Saviour if in sinful ways you lack.
Some say that they're comin' back in a garden, bunch of carrots and little sweet peas.
I think I'll just let the mystery be.

Everybody's wonderin' what and where they all came from.
Everybody's worryin' 'bout where they're gonna go when the whole thing's done.
But no one knows for certain and so it's all the same to me.
I think I'll just let the mystery be.

Some say they're goin' to a place called Glory and I ain't saying it ain't a fact.
But I've heard that I'm on the road to purgatory and I don't like the sound of that.
Well, I believe in love and I live my life accordingly.
But I choose to let the mystery be.

FROM RI IN BOSTON: I'm hung up on these WW, going over them again and again, and not reaching any conclusion about their meaning. Most of us describing ourselves wouldn't start with "Christian" or "religious", but ultimately one would come to admit our personal character is built on some such philosophy. So what about living life honestly...does Iris mean honorably, and if so what is driving the will to be honorable? Why would she make a point of rejecting those two descriptive words Christian and religious? Am I missing something...help me out. FROM JACK: Check yesterday's WWs again. I'm not able to crawl in and read the mind of Iris, so I Let the Mystery Be, as her song says. Read my response to MD on the blog.

FROM JK IN MICHIGAN: Last night my pastor was teaching and mentioned that God's principles for living bring blessing into your life regardless of the person's convictions. As part of the created order, His principles (e.g. being honest) seem to operate independently? FROM JACK: That's an interesting thought. God moves in a mysterious way and work through all sorts of people (even us) to work his will. Peace be with you!

FROM PRJS IN MICHIGAN: The fact that it sounds "Christian" to you says a lot. Do we have any need for a Savior any more? Is repentance a thing of the past? "Repent and believe in the gospel" seems to be out of date.....Unfortunately. FROM JACK: When a lawyer questioned Jesus about how to gain eternal life, Jesus responded by saying, "Love your God, love your neighbor, love yourself." To express that love sounds Christian to me.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: We seem to take God out of our lives enough....to love is fine...it's what Jesus called us to do. There's more to the story. At least she knows what the story is if she went to church. Another example of "your okay...I'm okay". I hope eventually she remembers who gave His life out of complete love for her. FROM JACK: Do you remember what was said yesterday about walking in someone else's moccasins? Read today's blog response to MD.

FROM ML IN ILLINOIS: i'm with iris. i let the mystery be. FROM JACK: Read the lyrics above. MORE FROM ML: love that song and i sing it often. have been humming it all day at school. my dear friend ron, who passed away of aids, found it very comforting. he was raised pentecostal so he could relate to iris's view of damnation. a gay man certainly wasn't going to heaven by his upbringing's teaching. i told him that we would meet wherever god sends us, but, we would certainly be in good company. i choose to let the mystery be. thanks for expanding minds in the name of god.

FROM ME IN CALIFORNIA: This one goes in the keeper file. MORE FROM ME: My goodness. Lots of reactions to WW. Just copied the words to Starry Night. FROM JACK: I like it when I get reactions, rather than "Ho Hum!"

FROM CJL IN OHIO: That's putting the best construction on it. I think there's something to do with the mind that makes a difference. Actions are OK but it's the mind that governs them.

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: Almost all of my husband and my families fall in this category. I think it is their ideas of the institutional church which puts a blockage to their attendance at public worship. Probably they would say what and why we do what we do is a mystery to them and I know what they do is not yet fully explained to me either. I like that do justice and walk humbly with your God. I think we're at a point in time where the most urgent thing people want and need to is be honest with God and with each other and it all has caused me to think a lot about how to share my faith so all this mystery parts so the real true community of worshippers can be revealed more fully. It doesn't seem to be just in church buildings. FROM JACK: Part of my frustration with being a pastor has been: "How do you reach out to those who have been turned off by the church that has been in their lives in the past.

FROM HAWKEYE GS: Preach the Gospel at all times, and if necessary, use words. (I believe from St. Francis of Assissi) FROM JACK: Sounds like good advice to me.

FROM INDY GENIE: ain't it the truth! she says that she "lets the mystery be" but in truth she's a theologian ....one of my favorites. FROM JACK: A theologian is one who understands that GOD is a word to describe the indescribable.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Almost all of my husband and my families fall in this category. I think it is their ideas of the institutional church which puts a blockage to their attendance at public worship. Probably they would say what and why we do what we do is a mystery to them and I know what they do is not yet fully explained to me either. I like that do justice and walk humbly with your God. I think we're at a point in time where the most urgent thing people want and need to is be honest with God and with each other and it all has caused me to think a lot about how to share my faith so all this mystery parts so the real true community of worshippers can be revealed more fully. It doesn't seem to be just in church buildings.
Thanks for your Winning Words again and all the sharers on your blogg here.
S.H. in MI