Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Winning Words 12/22/09
“The bird of paradise lights only on the hand that does not grasp.” (John Berry) This beautiful bird, a cousin of the crow, is rumored to have come directly from heaven. The thought being that God blesses those who are not greedy. Have you ever heard Little Jimmy Dickens sing about the bird of paradise? Google it! ;-) Jack

MORE FROM JACK: If you Google Little Jimmy Dickens singing, here are the lyrics.
MAY THE BIRD OF PARADISE FLY UP YOUR NOSE
Little Jimmy Dickens

One fine day as I was a-walkin' down the street
Spied a beggar man with rags upon his feet
Took a penny from my pocket
In his tin cup I did drop it
I heard him say as I made my retreat

CHORUS
"May the bird of paradise fly up your nose"
"May an elephant caress you with his toes"
"May your wife be plagued with runners in her hose"
"May the bird of paradise fly up your nose"

The laundry man is really on his toes
Found a hundred-dollar bill among my clothes
When he called me I came a-runnin'
Gave him back his dime for phonin'
I heard him sayin' as I turned to go

I was way behind one day to catch the train
Taxi driver said "We'll make it just the same"
The speed cop made it with us
And as he wrote out the ticket
I stood by politely a-waitin' for my change

FROM RI IN BOSTON: My wife's older sister had a pet bird, a trusting little creature about the size of a sparrow, and it was charming to watch it peek out of her sweater pocket, or fly to her shoulder. The bird would also light on her hand and sometimes snuggle inside her blouse. Such trust was well deserved. This sister-in-law, despite many hardships, has always been totally loving, caring, and giving. As far as I'm
concerned she has wings of her own, one of God's angels to those around her. FROM JACK: Sometimes God's angels have wings, and sometimes they don't.

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: Just went on your blog to see what people may have wrote and read the rest of what you wrote here--this is a hilarious song!!!!! Thanks!!!!! Day is startin out just great!!!!! May an elephant caress you with his toes?!!!! Just hilarious someone thought of those lyrics. FROM JACK: You just never know what you'll get when you open WWs.

FROM JN IN MICHIGAN: Thanks to you for your Winning Words. The quotes and your comments are thought-provoking, inspirational, funny, and clever, sometimes all of those, and I look forward to opening them first. I am also thankful that I do not have to read them at the time of day when you send them! FROM JACK: Thank you for your response. I was hoping that someone "read" to my mind...at least a portion of it.

FROM CWR IN B'MORE: I did hear him sing....in person at the Grand Ole Oprey in Nashville...about three years ago. I get around. FROM JACK: I've heard him in person, too. Another of his songs that I like is, "Sleepin' at the foot of the bed."

Did you ever sleep at the foot of the bed When the weather was whizzin' cold
When wind was whistlin' around the house And the moon was yeller as gold?

You give your good warm mattress up To Aunt Lizzie and Uncle Fred
Too many kinfolks on a bad night And you went to the foot of the bed.

I could always wait till the old folks ate And eat the leavin's with grace
The teacher could keep me after school I'd still have a smile on my face.

I could wear the big boys' wornout clothes Or let sister have my sled
But it always did get my nanny goat To sleep at the foot of the bed.

It was fine enough when kinfolks come And the kid brought brand new games
You could see how fat all the old folks was And learn all the babies' names.

Had biscuits and custard and chicken pie We all got Sunday fed
But I know darn well when my time come I was headed for the foot of the bed.

They say some folks don't know what it is Havin' company all over the place
To wrestle for cover on a winter night With a big foot settin' in your face.

Or cold toenails a scratchin' your back And the footboard scrubbin' your head
I'll tell the world you ain't lost a thing Never sleepin' at the foot of the bed.

I've done it over and over again In this land of the brave and the free
And in this all fired battle of life It's left its mark on me.

For I'm always a strugglin' around at the foot Instead of forgin' ahead
And I don't think it's caused from a doggone thing But sleepin' at the foot of the bed...

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Oh my goodness....Little Jimmy Dickens. Twice a year we took Gary's mom and Aunt Sauce down to Nashville, Indiana, (yes Nashville..Indiana) to the Little Opry to see Bobby Bare, Little Jimmy Dickens or one of their other favorite country singers! I will tell you, it wasn't our favorite trip, but we were good children and took them each year. One of the favorites was Little Jimmy Dickens. Have you seen any of these good fellows in concert? They are definitely men of God and talk about the blessings they have
received in each concert. I'm sure they were not perfect, who is, except maybe the Bird of Paradise, but it was something to hear them talk about their beliefs. Gary's aunt's favorite was Bobby Bare, who Gary and I must have seen three or four times. One of his hits was "Drop Kick me Jesus, Through the Goal Posts of Life". Google that one! :-) FROM JACK: I don't have to Google it; I know it.

FROM MT IN PENNSYLVANIA: This is a lovely thought! Thank you for taking the time to send these little gems. FROM JACK: The pleasure is mine.

FROM MO IN ILLINOIS: You mean, "May the Bird of Paradise Fly up your nose, May you always have a runner in your hose"? etc.? Funny one! It seems prosperity is a bit hard to come by, no matter what...but having traveled through most of the world, we are of all creatures, MOST blessed!!!! Right now times are pretty tight for most, even in USA. FROM JACK: So, you know that song, too? I could have guessed.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just went on your blog to see what people may have wrote and read the rest of what you wrote here--this is a hilarious song!!!!! Thanks!!!!! Day is startin out just great!!!!! May an elephant caress you with his toes?!!!! Just hilarious someone thought of those lyrics.
God bless,
S.H. in MI