Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Winning Words 12/2/09
“I don’t know what other people are like. I haven’t been able to crawl inside anybody else.” (Iris DeMent) In a way, I like this expression better than “walking for a day in another man’s moccasins.” Both make the point that it’s hard to understand people without being in their situation…and, yet, we express our pedantic judgments to one and all. More on Iris, one of these days. ;-) Jack

FROM PC IN MICHIGAN: You bring such a smile to my face each morning, Jack....I so look forward to these Winning Words. Especially when you expand my vocabulary. I looked up the word "pedantic" ~ it applies well to your comment. Enjoy your day; especially the snow flurries predicted for later today. I, personally, am
incredibly anxious for the same FROM JACK: Here's another word for you to look up, if you don't know it already. It's ONOMATOPOEIA. My high school freshman grandson already knows it, but I didn't come to appreciate it until much later in life. Boo, hiss!

FROM PRJS: Weren't you the person who said that "he could read me like a book?" Sounds like a pedantic judgment to me!! FROM JACK: Sometimes I look at the "movie" and get the gist of the story...and your's is an interesting story, to say the least.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Interesting thought. I like the moccasin saying better....it's a nicer image. FROM JACK: The moccasin saying may be a nicer image, but you really can't know someone until you crawl inside. The outside doesn't tell the whole story. Sometimes the word. crawl, is creepy.

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: I can't say if there is anyone else who ever felt I was so understanding of them and their situation that it felt like I had been able to crawl inside them or were walking in their moccasins figuratively speaking. (However,) it has felt like someone else has been able to authentically genuinely understand what was inside me. But, in my opinion, it all comes from God and not our own abilities. Thanks for today's Winning Words. FROM JACK: Oftentimes, that's the way it works for all of us.

FROM ML IN ILLINOIS: love iris! she's gritty, honest, brave, poignant, compassionate, concerned, spiritual, and on and on...in such a sweet human package. she is a modern day protest singer...one of my sheros. FROM JACK: Thanks for introducing her to me.

FROM MT IN PENNSYLVANIA: Iris is a unique talent! I heard her from time to time on The Prairie Home Companion. FROM JACK: You can Google her singing, "Let the Mystery Be." I think that you might be able to identify with the lyrics.

FROM MOLINER CF: I don't even understand myself sometimes. How do you expect me to understand you? FROM JACK: I'd just as soon that you wouldn't try to crawl inside.

FROM JO IN MICHIGAN: How true...it's a fine line between judging people and reading them... FROM JACK: That's a very perceptive observation. Thanks.

FROM JK IN MICHIGAN: This is a good word for me today.

FROM L IN ILLINOIS: You've still got me thinking about "Would I trade my problems for anyone else's?".
Surprisingly, there isn't a soul I'd trade with-- guess it's your job to get me thinking. FROM JACK: It's hard to get into the mind of over 300 readers every day. Thanks for your response.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't say if there is anyone else who ever felt I was so understanding of them and their situation that it felt like I had been able to crawl inside them or were walking in their moccasins figuratively speaking but what I can say is that there have been times when I've felt very, very isolated and have down-on-my knees begged God to, through the power of the Holy Spirit, pour out His understanding about me, about the situation, on at least, at the very, very least just one other person so I could feel in community again and miraculously God has, in the past, always answered my begging prayers. It has felt like someone else has been able to authentically genuinely understand what was inside me. But, in my opinion, it all comes from God and not our own abilities. Thanks for today's Winning Words, that have reminded me of all my thankfulness already this morning.
S.H. in MI