Friday, December 18, 2009

Winning Words 12/18/09
“Old age and sickness bring out the essential characteristics of a person.” (Felix Frankfurter) Oops! He was my age when he got sick and died. But, essentially, he was a fine U.S. Supreme Court justice, known to advocate judicial restraint. He suggested many bright young lawyers (known as Felix’s Happy Hot Dogs) to FDR. ;-) Jack

FROM RI IN BOSTON: Disregarding any character issues, I fit into that "old age and sickness" category...I'm old and I'm sick of it. FROM JACK: So that's your essential character? MORE FROM RI: Hey, I said to disregard that. MORE FROM JACK:
Promise Yourself-

To be so strong that nothing can disturb your peace of mind.

To talk health, happiness and prosperity to every person you meet.

To make all your friends feel that there is something in them.

To look at the sunny side of everything and make your optimism come true.

To think only of the best, to work only for the best, and to expect only the best.

To be just as enthusiastic about the success of others as you are about your own.

To forget the mistakes of the past and press on to the greater achievements of the future.

To wear a cheerful countenance at all times and give every living creature you meet a smile.

To give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others.

To be too large for worry, too noble for anger, too strong for fear, and too happy to permit the presence of trouble.

FROM ML IN ILLINOIS: human beings take a long time to ripen. then we die. what's with that? FROM JACK: Ecclesiastes 3....For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven: a time to be
born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.

FROM PRJS IN MICHIGAN: My word! Was he 101 when he died???

FROM MOLINER CROC: VERY GOOD ADVICE IN THIS EMAIL. I ALWAYS ENJOY WHAT U SEND US. WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE U DOING GETTING UP @ 4 OR 5 A.M. TO SEND OUT YOUR " WINNING WORDS "? I CAN WAIT `TIL LATER IN THE DAY. NO NEED ON MY ACCOUNT TO SEND THEM THAT EARLY. WE GO TO BED LATE & THEREFORE GET UP LATE. GUESS WE`RE JUST PLAIN LAZY. FROM JACK: I've always been an early riser. BTW, I meant to send this to you. I read an article on happiness, and it said that the happiest people are old Republican men. Have you found that to be true? Just call me, Grumpy.

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: Actually, seems to me that we learn something about ourselves when we are old and sick and it is a great opportunity one more time to pray to be able to change our bothersome essential characteristics. Interested in dementia and Alzheimers right now and it is interesting that people evidently can go through a mean stage and then come through to a more peaceful stage. Trying to understand but don't think there is such a thing that "none of it is really us" but that all of us have mean, cranky, sour dispositions in us but we all, God willing, can all come through to more peace too. Just hope my own crankiness isn't my final essential characteristic and that's all at the end!!!!! FROM JACK: I just read today that the happiest people live in Louisiana. As I remember, Michigan came in 49th.

FROM CJL IN OHIO: welcome to the Club....

FROM SG IN TAMPA: Mother always said that you are as young as you feel, and Mother and Dad belonged to a club called young at heart. They were blessed to be married almost 73 years- three weeks shy of that date.
FROM JACK: I remember the first time I saw a couple celebrate their 50th. They seemed really old.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually, seems to me that we learn something about ourselves when we are old and sick and it is a great opportunity one more time to pray to be able to change our bothersome essential characteristics. Interested in dementia and Alzheimers right now and it is interesting that people evidently can go through a mean stage and then come through to a more peaceful stage. Trying to understand but don't think there is such a thing that "none of it is really us" but that all of us have mean, cranky, sour dispositions in us but we all, God willing, can all come through to more peace too. Just hope my own crankiness isn't my final essential characteristic and that's all at the end!!!!!
S.H. in MI