Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Winning Words 10/27/09
“QTH STS STA – mean anything to you?” (Archie Dunham) Archie was once president of a major company. Before meetings, he’d put these letters at the top of his notepad. They stood for: Quick To Hear--Slow To Speak--Slow To Anger. He believed that this improved his judgment and his decision making. Let’s be as eager to hear others as we would like others to be eager to hear us. (From 3 Minutes a Day) ;-) Jack

FROM TL IN MICHIGAN: Thanks for making me reach, stretch, go a little past my comfort zone. So, at the end of my day, I feel like I have used what I have been given. FROM JACK: Thanks for a nice response. It's good that someone is QTH. Most of us are unwilling to venture out of our comfort zone, aren't we?

FROM DP IN MINNESOTA: I marvel that yoiu can come up with winning words five days a week---and for how many years? You have a real ministry giving thought provoking ideas from a great variety of backgrounds. Thank you for all you do to find them, and for replying to people's comments! FROM JACK: When I retired in 1992, my youngest daughter gave me a DVD of famous quotations. She knew that I was interested in things like that. When I was growing up in Moline, my pastor used to include sayings in the Sunday bulletin, such as: "Worry is merely putting today's sun behind tomorrow's cloud." I copied the idea when I began my ministry by including a SENTENCE SERMON in each bulletin. People responded positively, so I kept it up. After looking at the DVD for my own enjoyment, I decided to send a few to some friends, with a sentence commentary. Like Topsy, it "just growed." Today, there are about 300 people who receive them. I've considered changing the name to C-WOW, CongregationWithOutWa;;s, but decided to stick with Winning Words. A few months ago I was conducting a Memorial Service in a home for a young man who died in
Florida. Most of the people there were strangers to me. Afterward one of the "strangers" came up to me and said, "You don't happen to be Jack, from Winning Words, do you?" Amazing! I write the WWs the day before, and occasionally rethink and rewrite them. I try to send them out between 5:30 and 6 am, so that most people will get a positive statement when they open their computer for the day. The blog provides an opportunity for some give and take from the readers. MORE THAN YOU WANTED TO KNOW?

FROM PRPH IN MINNESOTA: sounds almost biblical! FROM JACK: James 1:19

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Great Winning Words today...thank you for taking the time to research, refresh and renew the words for us each day. FROM JACK: The pleasure is all mine!

FROM MO IN ILLINOIS: It certainly couldn't hurt! Excellent advice to live by! FROM JACK: It's always a good thing to follow good advice.

No comments: