Monday, October 19, 2009

Winning Words 10/19/09
“The world is so full of a number of things; I’m sure we should all be happy as kings.” (Robert Louis Stevenson) Even though RLS was sickly for most of his life, he traveled to many exotic places in the world. Even as a child, when illness confined him to bed, he used his mind in order to travel. His poem, “The Land of Counterpane” is an example of this. So, let your mind take you wherever you want to go. ;-) Jack

The Land of Counterpane
by Robert Louis Stevenson

When I was sick and lay a-bed,
I had two pillows at my head,
And all my toys beside me lay,
To keep me happy all the day.

And sometimes for an hour or so
I watched my leaden soldiers go,
With different uniforms and drills,
Among the bed-clothes, through the hills;

And sometimes sent my ships in fleets
All up and down among the sheets;
Or brought my trees and houses out,
And planted cities all about.

I was the giant great and still
That sits upon the pillow-hill,
And sees before him, dale and plain,
The pleasant land of counterpane.

FROM JACK: I learned that a counterpane is a bedspread. I inever knew that before. It makes sense, now.

FROM R.I. IN BOSTON: The world is so full of significant things...I'm sure we don't need those irrelevant kings. FROM JACK: Very clever of you. MORE FROM RI: And once again you've stirred people's curiosity to learn. no, I did not know about counterpanes. Googling I found that it comes from the Middle English
countrepointe, which was derived from the French coute pointe which is an embroidered quilt. (I suspect you already knew all that.) I did know about Robert Louis Stevenson, informed about him when I was about 5 years old by a wonderful old neighbor lady who showed interest in me. She taught me to memorize "My tea is nearly ready, and the sun has left the sky. It's time to take the window to see Leary going by..." Remarkable how those things remain with you. MORE FROM JACK: The Land of Counterpane was one of my childhood favorite poems. In fact, I even remember playing it out on my own bed....And it wasn't until today that my
curiosity got the best of me, and I wanted to know the definition of a counterpane.

FROM MOLINER GS: In my recovery from tibial osteotomy I have been able to reflect more on the many, many blessings in my life. Three women: Mom, the 81 year old cook at my fraternity, and my wife so enriched and blessed my life.

FROM CJL IN OHIO: That and pictures. When the strength goes. Then? FROM JACK: A new life--eternal!
Soon and very soon
We are going to see the King
Soon and very soon
We are going to see the King
Soon and very soon
We are going to see the King
Hallelujah, hallelujah,
We're going to see the king
No more cryin there,
We are going to see the King
No more cryin there,
We are going to see the King
No more cryin there,
We are going to see the King
Hallelujah, hallelujah,
We're going to see the King

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: ‘Tis true, I am happier than I’ve a right to be. FROM JACK: That's what GRACE is all about.

FROM MOLINER CF: In your mind go far and wide And never see the great outside. FROM JACK: The mind is the great controller.

FROM MT IN PENNSYLVANIA: Poems of Robert Louis Stevenson was my absolute favorite book
when I was around 5 or 6. I actually sought out and purchased a copy as an adult, just to
'reconnect the dots' from the past -- but the replacement book was lost somewhere. Now I
will find another copy!
P.S. "The Lamplighter" was another fave from that collection--along with "Counterpane".
P.P.S. Here's a short poem that is (to me at least) reminiscent of Stevenson. It's by
Gregory Allan Turner -- a good friend of mine since college days. He's been writing poetry
for over 40 years, and only brought them out into the open a few years ago.

GRACE by Gregory Allan Turner

The sun guarantees
the day to me
Each and every one the best
that by night, when's to rest
I count my blessings one by one
and they mount up
as does the sun
when day doth break

The moon does too
with silvery light
descends the dark and shadowy night
marks the course of starry flight
through heaven's cobalt fields

This poem, for nature's messengers
bearers of fates, and passengers
hauliers on God's recurrent round
Mark them well for what they be
They shine their light, as well you see
on revelers
and sorrowers
the same

FROM SG IN TAMPA: Today at USF we had two young PHD candidates , one from Uganda and the other from Kenya. One was a Fulbright student. They both did power point about their countries and answered questions. The amazing thing about living today are all the opportunities for young people. Of, course, we had them, too, and what a blessing it was and is for our generation and for our grandchildren, too. One speaker had lived under Idi Amin and the other was from the same part of Kenya as President Obama. I am ready to travel again, but my friends in California have invited me to go with them to Palm Springs, but right now I am not ready for the desert after our hot summer forever in Florida.

FROM DP IN MINNESOTA: thanks for RLS lines from Counterpane--I remember them well!

FROM L IN ILLINOIS: Just got to yesterday's blog. Counterpane... what a lovely poem. RLS had such a simple, great style. Thanks for teaching me a lot about a lot! Actually, that poem is haunting me now. Melancholy, when you realize he was sickly. But I can identify with being (temporarily) sick and having to make do with the amusements provided by the surroundings of my sickbed. FROM JACK: RLS shows that even if you are incapacitated in some way, you can still contribute to the world...in your own time and in other generations, too.

No comments: